Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi tires in snow

Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwp411
+1...agree with this
+2 agree as well
Old 07-05-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

I wish my wife agreed with me that much!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my stock Rubi wheels & tires on through the "snow" storm that crippled the south 2 years ago.. it was less snow than Ice and they still ran perfect even at my normal pressure (about 32-35 PSI). I even went up several steep roads that were iced over in order to get home and had no trouble.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Former Member

I get the feeling that people having problems with BFG M/T tires need to get used to the pedals inside the cab. OH was that my out loud voice?
Back in the 70's we used to put tires on in the winter that had big lugs. Ah well yah sort of like an M/t They called them 'Snow Tires'. Now some young folks with 'University degrees' in advertising and still living in mommy's basement came up with a way to sell people a second set of tires and wheels. PERFECT don't need the tires but was smart enough to fish in a whole generation into a marketing scheme.
Take your foot of the gas in snow or on Ice. Rubber compound below -7 degrees..Please. I'm going to pee my pants laughing at the people that fall for that one. Oh but on the positive side..if you drive a Zamboni on a hockey rink......Go nuts

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 07-13-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something to remember, if your brakes are locked, you lose control of steering, and it can also take twice as long to safely come to a stop. Until you get used to the snow, you are the limiting factor, not the tires. Just like the first time you go off-road.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by axendo79
Something to remember, if your brakes are locked, you lose control of steering, and it can also take twice as long to safely come to a stop. Until you get used to the snow, you are the limiting factor, not the tires. Just like the first time you go off-road.
ABS should prevent wheel lock-up.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I get the feeling that people having problems with BFG M/T tires need to get used to the pedals inside the cab. OH was that my out loud voice? Back in the 70's we used to put tires on in the winter that had big lugs. Ah well yah sort of like an M/t They called them 'Snow Tires'. Now some young folks with 'University degrees' in advertising and still living in mommy's basement came up with a way to sell people a second set of tires and wheels. PERFECT don't need the tires but was smart enough to fish in a whole generation into a marketing scheme. Take your foot of the gas in snow or on Ice. Rubber compound below -7 degrees..Please. I'm going to pee my pants laughing at the people that fall for that one. Oh but on the positive side..if you drive a Zamboni on a hockey rink......Go nuts
Great post! I agree 100%!

Quick Reply: Rubi tires in snow