Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi rail broken clip nut please hell

Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubi rail broken clip nut please help

Clip nut for the rubi rail is spinning and there's no access. I need to remove it. Now what? Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by AirJordan613; 10-05-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know which bolt/nut you are speaking of, exactly, but here are my usual tricks:

Jam a screwdriver between the body and the nut to generate some friction and slowly turn the bolt out.

Jam a screwdriver or needle-nose pliers between the body and the head of the bolt and lever out to generate friction on the nut, then slowly turn the bolt out.

If enough threads are showing, cut the bolt with a zip wheel or, if you are bold, a sawsall.

If no threads are showing, put vice grips on the head of the bold and center drill the bolt with a bit that is the same size as the shaft of the bolt. The head will come off, then you can work on the rest after the rail is off.

Hope that helps-
Gregg
Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of mine spun too. I took all the nuts and the other bolt out and wiggled the rail while spinning the bolt with an impact. The speed of the impact helps a lot. I replaced mine with 5/16 bolts and captured nuts from autozone they didn't have 8mm
Old 10-04-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll give it a try with an impact. If not I'll just drill it out. They should have used a welded nut instead of this crap
Old 10-04-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah they should have. Hope you get it.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
I'll give it a try with an impact. If not I'll just drill it out. They should have used a welded nut instead of this crap
Yes. But that costs money. And in one breath we consumers demand the very best manufacturing processes, and in the other we cuss how expensive things are. At least autos aren't as bad as airlines, where the skinflints have decimated U.S. carriers ability to deliver a quality product.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I used a metal forked pry tool to pull it down far enough to get a small hacksaw blade in there and cut the head off the bolt.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OneBlue_wolf
I had the same thing happen to me. I used a metal forked pry tool to pull it down far enough to get a small hacksaw blade in there and cut the head off the bolt.
Mine snapped just as it started unthreading so I don't think I'll be able to cut it off. It looks like I'll likely be drilling it off. Coincidentally after searching the forum for the bolt/nut sizes, I discovered that Jeep apparently switched to a welded on nut in 2013. Took them long enough lol. Doesn't help me with my '08.

Quick Reply: Rubi rail broken clip nut please hell