Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi Differential question

Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The next logical question is WHY would jeep make the differential lockable ONLY in 4lo? are locked diffs in 4-hi hard on the drive train or something?
Because of all the soccer moms buying and driving JK's?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
So, I'll gladly admit I have a lot to learn about 4x4 and off roading..

I think I understand the purpose, and difference between locking, and limited slip differentials.. but it seems to me that a vehicle in 4 x 4 drive without either is not truely a 4x4 as it should send torque to the path of least resistance.. the wheel that won't grip.

Which brings me to my question.. I believe the rubis have Dana 44 axles.. and I know that they're lockable in 4-lo.. but what about 4-hi ? Are those axles ALSO limited slip?

I've also read about the electronic braking differential, and the braking methods for traction control.. Are THOSE what a fella has to rely on in 4-hi to get traction? seems like it would be hard on the hardware.
Most 4 wheel drive systems will send power to at least one front wheel and one rear wheel when in 4 wheel drive.

A locker closes the diff and makes both wheels spin at the same time. A limited slip sends some power to the wheel that isn't slipping. Lockers and limited slips add a lot to 4 wheel drive but aren't required for it to be 4x4. In most road driving conditions a limited slip is more desirable as a locker is pretty much only useful offroad.

Braking methods for traction control are pretty much to trick limited slip differentials into providing more traction under pretty specific conditions, which are usually off road.

D44 axles aren't necessarily locked or limited slip. Just like any other axle it depends on what is installed. On a Rubicon the D44 has an electronic locker. They aren't limited slip per say but 07 and up has electronic stability control which transfers power to wheels with traction and away from wheels that are slipping. It's pretty impressive how well it works in slippery conditions. That is not
Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Because of all the soccer moms buying and driving JK's?
I thought that was why Chrysler offers the Unlimited as a 2WD as well. The words "wrangler" and "2WD" just sound so wrong when put together, don't they? Damn you soccer moms; why don't you get a BMW X5 or Range Rover Vogue like all the others?

Last edited by JKlad; 12-03-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
bump..sorry to cut in on your thread, but are you saying you can lock the rear end in either 4L or 4H?
Superchips allow you to do this as well as other great things!

Quick Reply: Rubi Differential question