Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi Differential question

Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi Differential question

So, I'll gladly admit I have a lot to learn about 4x4 and off roading..

I think I understand the purpose, and difference between locking, and limited slip differentials.. but it seems to me that a vehicle in 4 x 4 drive without either is not truely a 4x4 as it should send torque to the path of least resistance.. the wheel that won't grip.

Which brings me to my question.. I believe the rubis have Dana 44 axles.. and I know that they're lockable in 4-lo.. but what about 4-hi ? Are those axles ALSO limited slip?

I've also read about the electronic braking differential, and the braking methods for traction control.. Are THOSE what a fella has to rely on in 4-hi to get traction? seems like it would be hard on the hardware?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, a 4x4 with open diffs is really only 2wd when things get slick.
The JK Rubi axles are open if not locked. No limited slip.

The brake lock differential works pretty good at replacing limited slip. It's not all that hard on the system.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question 1: only works in 4 low.
2: They are not limited slip.

I know nothing about EBD.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

bump..sorry to cut in on your thread, but are you saying you can lock the rear end in either 4L or 4H?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete Control of Lockers Mod

Run a search on this,I remember it being quite informative and beneficial for those with a Rubi.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by largo
bump..sorry to cut in on your thread, but are you saying you can lock the rear end in either 4L or 4H?
I re-read the posts prior to yours. I don't see where anyone said it could be locked in 4lo and 4hi.

There is reference to the brake-lock-differential feature of the traction control. It doesn't do anything inside the differential, though. It just applies the brake to the slipping wheel.

There is a mod to allow locking anytime.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-03-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Right on.. THat's what I thought.. so with that in mind, the standard jk sport ONLY has the brake enabled limited slip.. I've read that it works really good... but it just doesn't seem like a jeep w/o at least one locking axle.. I've never been more happy that I purchased a rubi

The next logical question is WHY would jeep make the differential lockable ONLY in 4lo? are locked diffs in 4-hi hard on the drive train or something?

or perhaps they're trying to limit over use of it by people who would lock their diffs every time they wanted to drive accross someones lawn..
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is to try to idiot proof everything as much as possible and prevent damage and warranty complaints. I'm ok with it because I doubt I'll ever need it locked in 4 high but it is a bit irritating.

Did all JKs come with EBD?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default EBD vs Lockers

My Jeep started life as a typical Sahara and I was amazed what it was capable of with the LSD and EBD. EBD does require a little different driving style to be most effective but it works great. I would even brag about being able to follow the locked Jeeps most places. Then I upgraded to Rubi locking axles. Now I'm even more amazed at what my Jeep is capable of. The difference is night and day. My axles are wired without the factory electronic nannies and I can lock them in 4Hi if I choose. I honestly don't think I ever have though.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Right on.. THat's what I thought.. so with that in mind, the standard jk sport ONLY has the brake enabled limited slip.. I've read that it works really good... but it just doesn't seem like a jeep w/o at least one locking axle.. I've never been more happy that I purchased a rubi

The next logical question is WHY would jeep make the differential lockable ONLY in 4lo? are locked diffs in 4-hi hard on the drive train or something?

or perhaps they're trying to limit over use of it by people who would lock their diffs every time they wanted to drive accross someones lawn..
Because people would lock at inappropriate times and speeds.

A locked differential can be very dangerous on the road.
With an open diff, one tire on an axle will normally lose traction before the other, leaving one tire still good for directional control.
If both tires on an axle lose traction at the same time, as when locked, all directional control will be lost.
That can send the vehicle off the road, or into the other lane, very quickly unless you are driving very slowly.

Quick Reply: Rubi Differential question