Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubber Screws?!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Screws?!

OK what's the deal with these rubber screws threaded through rubber...liners..?

I'm looking to take my grill off to install Mr Grill inserts and the whole thing is held on by rubber screws.

How do you get these things out? They just spin in place.

Help!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

before you strip them get a small screw driver and gently pry up on the screw part while you turn it then when the screw is out gently pull out the 2nd part of it. Once you get one the rest will be easy.

I love my Mr. Grille inserts!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks,
if my wire hanger trick, to hold the brace in place, for the grill inserts doesn't work I'll give that a shot. I'm trying to avoid having to remove the grill.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Former Member

The grille is easier to remove than picking your nose.

Search the threads for grille removal and the insert job is nothing at all to worry about. Been there/done that/bought the bumper sticker.

Put the clothes hanger back in the closet.

Those inserts are the cheapest protection for your radiator anyone has ever come up with because they actually stand up to chucked rocks.

Can't uderstand why so many are impressed with the gutter guard poser trick.

Hope you got them for the rad protection and the aesthetics are secondary.

With 4 jeeps don't bother disputing the benefits of true protection.

I've replaced too many rads before seeing the light.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Take a dry wall screw and screw it in the center a few turns, pull up on the center screw to pull it out, then take a J hook or some needle nose plyers and pull out the insert...VERY easy when done that way
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Ice
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles

Search the threads for grille removal and the insert job is nothing at all to worry about. Been there/done that/bought the bumper sticker.

Those inserts are the cheapest protection for your radiator anyone has ever come up with because they actually stand up to chucked rocks.

It really is! you can just slip your fingernail under the head of the screw and apply a little pressure to it while you unscrew the screw and it will come right out! Go ahead! Give it a try!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Take a dry wall screw and screw it in the center a few turns, pull up on the center screw to pull it out, then take a J hook or some needle nose plyers and pull out the insert...VERY easy when done that way
your kidding right? dude all you have to do is pull straight up on the screw part in the middle, two putty knives one on each side. Once you pop all the screws out just pull up from underneath the grille and the whole thing pops right out...and you can actually reuse the fastners.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did get them for protection first and looks second. I got sick of seeing what large bugs were doing to the radiator and didn't want any rocks getting any ideas. I do love the look though too.

As for my hanger trick, it worked great and was faster than removing the grill. I just needed to get the last insert installed.
Thanks to all for the tips on getting those rubber screws out though. Should I need to remove the grill in the future I'll know how.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

cheapest? how is $80-$100 cheap?

and i don't see how my "gutter guard poser" grille mod is any less effective than your inserts. if done right, they will hold up to just as much as the pricier inserts and for less than half the cost.

plus, if something did by chance happen to damage one of my inserts, i could replace it easily for less than $3

i'm not saying one way is better than the other, i just wanted to share some facts and keep people from receiving biased information

Quick Reply: Rubber Screws?!