Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rough starting!!!????

Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough starting!!!????

Hey yall,

When ever i start my 07 after its been sitting for awhile, its really rough sounding for the first couple seconds. Oil is full also. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add STP oil treatment. It will help keep everything lubed up while it sets.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdelia2012
Hey yall,

When ever i start my 07 after its been sitting for awhile, its really rough sounding for the first couple seconds. Oil is full also. Any ideas?
If by"it's really rough" you mean there's ticking and rattling That's called dry starting...if you do have it, it's from the oil draining back into the pan...a lot of folks here say switching from type a to type b filter stopped it...i would say try a different filter...i have had good luck with wix oil filters...but when it's close to 0°f here in the winter i still get it once in a while.
it's not the best solution but if it has sat for a few days...floor it when you crank it over...it won't start but will prime oil back into the filter and top end..then stop cranking, release the pedal and start as normal...no dry start! It's probably not great for the starter but I'll replace that a little sooner then let my motor dry start in the cold...hopefully in your case a different brand of filter fixes it and you will be good
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah sounds like oil going back into the pan. Was happening to me, and after I changed my oil with a new wix filter the problem went away. Just invest in a good quality filter.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

ok thanks guys! ill try it out

Quick Reply: rough starting!!!????