Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rough idle, 22k miles (2007 jk)

Old 08-23-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle, 22k miles (2007 jk)

Hey all,
Occasionally my JK will have what feel like a rough idle. You cant really hear it, but you can feel it in the steering wheel and in the seat. One one instance it was put into gear and felt like it almost stalled, but recovered.

Before I take her to the stealership (heh..) do you guys have any ideas as to what may be causing it? (Some people have mentioned cleaning out the throttle body with a kit from 3m... to replacing the plugs, at 22k miles isnt this a bit early, even though most of my driving is city?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gerrynjr
Hey all,
Occasionally my JK will have what feel like a rough idle. You cant really hear it, but you can feel it in the steering wheel and in the seat. One one instance it was put into gear and felt like it almost stalled, but recovered.

Before I take her to the stealership (heh..) do you guys have any ideas as to what may be causing it? (Some people have mentioned cleaning out the throttle body with a kit from 3m... to replacing the plugs, at 22k miles isnt this a bit early, even though most of my driving is city?)

Thanks in advance.
My '09 had the rough idle since I brought it home in May. In June I replaced the plugs with E3.66 and since then I have not had the issue. Watch it come back now that I said that....
Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gerrynjr
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Mine did that around 29,000ish(?) miles and I had my dealership, who is pretty good ,fair and friendly clean it. Haven't had the problem again. Just me experience.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by w00dchuck
Mine did that around 29,000ish(?) miles and I had my dealership, who is pretty good ,fair and friendly clean it. Haven't had the problem again. Just me experience.
Clean what....the throttle body?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just changed my air filter at 10,000 miles and it improved the idle and power. I had been on many dusty roads. I was going to do the plugs but will wait.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change your sparkplugs. If that doesn't work, clean the throttle body. If that doesn't work... take her in. I changed my sparkplugs after 10,000 and it cleaned up my idle. The factory ones are just sometimes inconsistantly gapped.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep changed the plugs to Bosh Platinum IR's at 24000 and the rough idle is gone!

Quick Reply: rough idle, 22k miles (2007 jk)