Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rotating in the spare? yes/no?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Depends on how long you keep it on there. I bet more than 5 years and you are asking for it if you try and use it for a replacement. Too much dry rot at that point.
It's a spare. For emergency use only.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJerm
i have directional tires so i dont bother with the spair
WHAT ARE DIRECTIONAL TIRES ?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Tires designed to function best rotating in a specific direction. The problem with rotating these is that if you take one off the right side and put it on the left side, then the directional tread pattern will now be facing the back of the vehicle rather than the front.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks so much guys... I figured the dealer was full of it, but I guess I needed some reassurance! I plan on just going ahead and doing it myself since the dealership obviously can't be trusted. Got about 7500 miles on her now, will wait until 10k and then do every 5.

Off to hard wire a 1500 watt power inverter in prep for University of Maryland Tailgating Season... will throw in a write up when complete.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thrash
Tires designed to function best rotating in a specific direction. The problem with rotating these is that if you take one off the right side and put it on the left side, then the directional tread pattern will now be facing the back of the vehicle rather than the front.
Thanks for that info., I never heard of those tires. Guess the best you could with those is rotate each side ........front to back.

Quick Reply: rotating in the spare? yes/no?