Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rotating in the spare? yes/no?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotating in the spare? yes/no?

someone posted a thread a while back with a great write-up of how to rotate in the spare. thought it was a great idea... then i was at the dealership the other day getting my oil changed (usually would do it myself but had a coupon to get it done for free), and got into a conversation with the service guy about rotating the tires. according to this guy, rotating in the spare will screw with the 4wd since it comes in as a less worn tire, and should only use it as a true spare. now doesn't rotating in the spare eliminate it from being "less worn" than the rest?

opinions/suggestions?

thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Rotate it in. When in 4wd, you aren't rolling that fast. When in 2wd, you aren't locked, so it doesn't matter if they roll differently.
Service techs aren't always right. Put it in.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

From that previous thread I took away the feeling that most would rotate in the spare. I decided to do that at 6K and plan to do it again at 12K. Part of the issue in that past thread was also deciding how to rotate in the spare - I was glad it was discussed because my dealer turned to me to ask how I wanted it done. But they didn't say it would interfere with anything by doing so.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/rotate-spare-818/
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a floor jack and jack stands. For fun, , I rotate my tires every 1k miles.

If woried about the dif in tread depth, just rotate with less mileage between intervals.

Rotating in the spare should increase the life of your tires aprx 20%. (I'm actually shooting my self in the foot by doing this, as my wife says no 35"s until these wear out)

Last edited by shredX; 07-12-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its easy if you have the means to do it yourself and have non-directional tread. I say do it. Otherwise its a bill and a wait at the tire shop.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2terpsjeep
someone posted a thread a while back with a great write-up of how to rotate in the spare. thought it was a great idea... then i was at the dealership the other day getting my oil changed (usually would do it myself but had a coupon to get it done for free), and got into a conversation with the service guy about rotating the tires. according to this guy, rotating in the spare will screw with the 4wd since it comes in as a less worn tire, and should only use it as a true spare. now doesn't rotating in the spare eliminate it from being "less worn" than the rest?

opinions/suggestions?

thanks
he's not thinking right . If you rotate your spare everytime you do tire rotation (+/- 5k miles), you will wear ALL 5 tires evenly. So, in the event where you REALLY need your spare, it won't messed up anything, since the spare thread is about the same as the flat tire.

Plus, you'll get more milllage out of your tires.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shredX
I have a floor jack and jack stands. For fun, , I rotate my tires every 1k miles.
Now that made me lol...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2terpsjeep

opinions/suggestions?

thanks
I don't believe him..........what if you had a flat tire and had to get just one new tire ? I don't think that would screw up someones 4 wd.....just my 2 cents
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tire Rotation

I have had three jeeps since 1982. Probably driven well over 500,000 miles. Have always rotated all 5 tire every 3000 miles. Last set of Swampers on CJ5 have almost 40k and are still good. I would say that rotation interval adds 20-25% to mileage. Very impressed with the factory tires on the Rubi Unlimited. Have 10,000+ rotated three times and show very little ware. Very quiet on-road and super off-road.

Last edited by crwood1; 07-12-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have directional tires so i dont bother with the spair

Quick Reply: rotating in the spare? yes/no?