Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Roof Rack weight capacity

Old 12-11-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack weight capacity

How strong is the factory hardtop on a four door? If i mount a rack up there, mounted directly to the top, how much weight will it hold safely? Will it cause cracking at the mounting points of the top? I want to at least carry a soft sided cargo bag up there with luggage in it.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how much it will hold. I have seen a few people that have done it, but I would be leary especially if I were to go on a rough road or offroad. Just see how much flex you have on the hardtop in the center. If you do go that route make sure the attachment points are as close to the sides as possible.

There was a company, maybe AEV, that was working on a design that had some sort of internal support to the back "roll bar." However nothing has been released.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The hard top isn't rated to mount anything to it.

People have installed racks to it and had no problems.

I wouldn't worry about luggage. It heavy things like lumber, piping, etc. that would cause problems.

I wouldn't mount the rack to the removable panels, though. There isn't much holding them in place. (People have done it, and I heard of one case where they blew off on the highway.)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only have the cargo bag up there. Filled with suitcases. Nothing else.

Quadratec has a Yakima rack that would work. I would only mount to back section of the top. I just don't want to have cracking issues if i use one.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
How strong is the factory hardtop on a four door? If i mount a rack up there, mounted directly to the top, how much weight will it hold safely? Will it cause cracking at the mounting points of the top? I want to at least carry a soft sided cargo bag up there with luggage in it.
on my phone if you do a search for warrior roof rack write up... that is what I did... you can look in my profile for pictures....

cheap, easy and super strong....

Quick Reply: Roof Rack weight capacity