Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rocker question

Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker question

Anyone know of a product that covers that area from rocks kicked up by the tires and offers a step I just got my jk a bit ago and I don't want stones to chip the pain then in winter it will rust with the salt any ideas
Old 10-14-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing that I know of to cover the bottom of the tub. I was thinking about rhino lining the bottom from the frame out to the edge of the tub and up about 1" on the side. The stock plastic side steps on the Sahara models provided some protection. I took mine off and installed Smitty built side rails with steps, and now stones are being thrown up between the rails and knicking the paint on my rear fenders, gotta figure out some way to stop that.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would mud flaps behind the front wheels work?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mud flaps are your easiest and cheapest way out. In the rust belt, where I'm from (MI) and near where you live the absolute WORST thing you can do is a bedline the bottome of your jeep. I know its common theory that this helps. But the problem is when a stone kicks up and penetrates the coating (which it eventually will) it starts an accelerated corrosion process. What basically happens is the rust starts, and with the salt getting up in there you really never see it (b/c of the liner) and it eats and spreads rust very quickly without you even knowing it. I've seen this time and time again. On my jeep, I just keep it clean, touch up the rockers as I need to.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm getting a specialized rust proof undercoating for it but that's just the underbody I'm worried about the rocker area and i don't know how the mud flaps would look
Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Mud flaps are your easiest and cheapest way out. In the rust belt, where I'm from (MI) and near where you live the absolute WORST thing you can do is a bedline the bottome of your jeep. I know its common theory that this helps. But the problem is when a stone kicks up and penetrates the coating (which it eventually will) it starts an accelerated corrosion process. What basically happens is the rust starts, and with the salt getting up in there you really never see it (b/c of the liner) and it eats and spreads rust very quickly without you even knowing it. I've seen this time and time again. On my jeep, I just keep it clean, touch up the rockers as I need to.

Hope that helps.
I thought bedliner was like steel when it dried. Am I not correct in my thinking?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mean Rhino liner

Quick Reply: rocker question