Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rock Gardens & Trac-Lok LSD

Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SF Nick
You miss read, I have a ARB up front & had a LSD in the rear & it wasn't up to the task in some cases. I wasn't asking for a dickhead response of how hardcore of a off-roader you are, I don't give a shit. Just stating a fact that a LSD isn't the best thing for rock crawling"garden". No trick to it. I love the fact that you tried to teach me something about 15psi vs 10psi vs 9psi without a eye blink, aluminum vs steel, winching vs running a locker, LSD vs Locker, oh and let's not forget the lesson on how I selected how heavy my Jeep is. Must have missed all this shit while I was building my Jeep. I was just here to state my personal experience to the ops question. Didn't mean to step on your toes. But I did learn that you wheel harder because you are in NorCal, you love your KM2s, your Jeep is a daily driver with beadlocks, & that you are a hardcore off-roader with LSDs that has a winch that's never been used. Real hardcore shit maan. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry for my dickheaded response but you asked for it.
Misread? You never stated you had a front locker till now LMAO.

I think you misread. I never stated that I was a hardcore off roader BUT I did say that my rig was "capable" enough to do a hardcore trail. Furthermore I also did say that LSD has it's limitations.

Please take a reading comprehension class. No wonder the USSofA is no longer in the top 10 for academics.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
What is the best way to make use of the factory LSD on the rocks?
The factory LSD uses clutches. Clutches wear out. They wear out faster when tires are lifted and spinning. So the best way to use a factory LSD in the rocks? Replace it with something that won't wear out before you burn the clutches up and its useless, someone will buy it...
Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ1
Misread? You never stated you had a front locker till now LMAO. I think you misread. I never stated that I was a hardcore off roader BUT I did say that my rig was "capable" enough to do a hardcore trail. Furthermore I also did say that LSD has it's limitations. Please take a reading comprehension class. No wonder the USSofA is no longer in the top 10 for academics.
Totally my bad, I just assumed that if I said "on very step obstacles where a Front & rear locker is needed" you would pick up on the fact that I have a front locker since it was needed. Guess I didn't explain that clearly enough thus my clarification in my second post. I'm not getting into a name calling argument with you & I definitely don't need your approval. So you win! Keep on keeping on with your hardcore "capable" "not hardcore off-roading" Jeep . This will be my last post in this thread. Have a good day.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:33 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Totally my bad, I just assumed that if I said "on very step obstacles where a Front & rear locker is needed" you would pick up on the fact that I have a front locker since it was needed. Guess I didn't explain that clearly enough thus my clarification in my second post. I'm not getting into a name calling argument with you & I definitely don't need your approval. So you win! Keep on keeping on with your hardcore "capable" "not hardcore off-roading" Jeep . This will be my last post in this thread. Have a good day.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 2.49.44 PM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	608759

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 2.49.14 PM.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	608760

I don't assume. I go with the info presented. Good day.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for answering the question at hand DJ1. I appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to make use of the factory LSD on the rocks?

Once upon a time before I had one, I thought I read about engaging the e-brake a click or two to maximize its effectiveness. Is this the case?

If so, is it best to do this while navigating difficult terrain or only when tires are spinning?
I've wondered this too, and I often wonder how effective is the LSD with the brake lock traction control, as in, does it even use the LSD? Does the LSD kick in before the BL?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Thanks for answering the question at hand DJ1. I appreciate it.
No problem.

At last year's NorCal vs. SoCal Rubi-run I was the only rig with an LSD out of about 40 JK's. Also had the lowest lift too. One of the hardcore guys we ran with (Sahara YJ w Diesel, air suspension, military beadlocks, swap/fab work all done by him) was really impressed and could not believe I was running open/LSD. The e-brake (and I'm sure the BLD also) definitely helps when you need it.

Lot of the guys weren't running their rear lockers the whole time so I think the electronic brake-lock diff definitely works. Then when they needed the extra help, switched the rear locker on.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kbiv
....how effective is the LSD with the brake lock traction control, as in, does it even use the LSD? Does the LSD kick in before the BL?
These I'm not sure. I just know with a standard LSD, if one wheel is up off the ground you're pretty much SOL.

InvestM4 was talking about how the BLD would kick in while running open but that was on some other thread. I'm not sure if it kicks in while under certain parameters like engine rpm, speed, 4LO engaged, etc. which is why I just use the old school method of using the e-brake.

Quick Reply: Rock Gardens & Trac-Lok LSD