Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rigidity of stock rear diff covers

Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigidity of stock rear diff covers

I was wondering how durable the rear diffs are on the Sahara Unlimited? its a '09 and i think i have the 3.73 gear ratio, if that makes any difference.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, Compared to after market diff covers these things are like tin foil. I highly suggest purchasing an after market diff such as ones made by solid (around $65. Real cheap compared to competitors) if you plan on doing any offroading. I didnt think i needed a diff cover on my rear until i realized how often you backing up and going in reverse on trails
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Croce
IMO, Compared to after market diff covers these things are like tin foil. I highly suggest purchasing an after market diff such as ones made by solid (around $65. Real cheap compared to competitors) if you plan on doing any offroading. I didnt think i needed a diff cover on my rear until i realized how often you backing up and going in reverse on trails
What kind of install time would i be looking at? a afternoon or a weekend project?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sarathesahara

What kind of install time would i be looking at? a afternoon or a weekend project?
Install time is maybe an hour or two per diff, just make sure you have the proper tools otherwise you'll be makin store runs most of the time. Look at the write up on install and run over the tools checklist.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sarathesahara
Never done it but to my understanding, drian old fluid, take of old cover, clean , seal new one on tightin it all up, refill with diff oil and good to go! Probly looking at no more then 2hrs!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm replacing both of mine with Riddler's Friday. Expecting about 1 - 2 hours seeing as how 4Wheel Parts wants a half hour to do both.

Donnie
Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

One of the easiest jobs you can do. If it's stuck on after taking out the bolts, don't use a chisel or screwdriver as a chisel, you can scratch and gouge the housing sealing surface. Take a hammer and tap it off.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, this is a very subjective topic.

i don't know how many people off road on this forum, like percentage wise, and i certainly haven't been here long enough to judge. but from personal experience, i have hit my differential and scraped it enough times and hard enough and it has held up.

with that said, if you wheel on rocks, it's good insurance. but for the average wheeler, average wheeler being subjective to opinion, it's going to be a question of spending money.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Out of all your opinions which diff covers should I go with? I would be looking to spend about 50-60 for each if possible.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stocks are weak as tin foil. If you don't already see them rusting, leaking, or have punctured one yet, then you are lucky if you wheel! After market diff covers are 10x stronger.

Quick Reply: Rigidity of stock rear diff covers