Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Right Turn Knocking?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Right Turn Knocking?

I've searched the forums and could not come up with anyone with similar posts. For some reason, everytime i turn the wheel to the right I hear a knocking sound from the right side of my Jeep. It sounds like a fairly heavy metal on metal knock, however, I don't feel it at all in the steering wheel. I crawled under and did the typical man thing (shake and wiggle random components), but nothing seemed loose. Could it be the steering dampener? Something needing greased? It's a 2009 all stock unlimited with 5000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like a bad u-joint to me. Jack up the right side of the jeep and see if you can see any play in the u-joints.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also look for wear on the brake line on the right side. Mine used to contact the tire at full right turn, even in stock form. Its weird it was only on the right side but I just bent it far enough away that it doesn't contact anymore.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tripwire_eod
I've searched the forums and could not come up with anyone with similar posts. For some reason, everytime i turn the wheel to the right I hear a knocking sound from the right side of my Jeep. It sounds like a fairly heavy metal on metal knock, however, I don't feel it at all in the steering wheel. I crawled under and did the typical man thing (shake and wiggle random components), but nothing seemed loose. Could it be the steering dampener? Something needing greased? It's a 2009 all stock unlimited with 5000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
The SS extends when you turn right, so unless its brackets are loose or the shaft is bent it not like the source.

Have you changed anything recently? Or have you done some heavy wheelin'.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help. I took a better look at it with a another Jeep guy. There is a pressed seal missing from the right u-joint. It's just free-floating right now. I guess it starts knocking at slow speeds, because the centrifugal force keeps it centered at speed. There was a little bit of grinding, which is where the sound was coming from, not too bad. Roadside assistance is going to tow it in. Hopefully they can just bang in a new seal. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I think I'm getting screwed??? The dealer told me that the bearing in the U-Joint was missing so they have to replace the entire front axle. Which luckily is covered under warranty, but they want to charge me 570 dollars because they found water in the front and rear differential and the transfer case. They said it would cost that much to drain and replace the fluids and that it is not covered under warranty. Is it normal to get water in your diffs. The only times I've been wheeling, all I have done is go through some shallow(1' or 2') water pockets on the trails. Anyone have any advice?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

tell 'em to get bent. Changing the fluid in the diffs is easier than an oil change.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

The more experience I get with wheeling and water the more a little body damage and rock crawling appeals to me. I wheeled my old ZJ and went through the same 1 - 2' of water in little holes that you describe and got water in the diffs. Driving home from that trip (before I got a chance to change the diff oil) I heard the carrier bearing whine and it cost a crap ton of money to repair it as I don't have the tools to do a carrier bearing and gear replacement. Between that and the problems people seem to have with hydrolocking these engines and the problems with high water and the 6-speeds I don't think I am ever going to take my JK through real deep water unless I have to...
Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I found a write up on how to extend the breather hoses. I will be doing that next week.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pay it

Pay for the fluid change- if you don't and they notate on your work order that you left with contaminated diffs your axle warranties are TOAST...

Quick Reply: Right Turn Knocking?