Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rhino Liner around the tub edge?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Liner around the tub edge?

I have a 2010 2 door Rubi. The top edge of the cargo bed is already getting scratched up from removing/putting on the hard and soft tops. I know it's a Jeep and scratches add character, etc but I'd rather prevent this from happening if possible.

Is it a good idea to line the top edge with Rhino liner? I got a quote of $140 to do this job. What do you guys think?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gutted the interior and Line-X'd my entire tub, but I made a point to keep the shop from spraying the "rails" for fear a hard top wouldn't seal well and the rough finish would abrade a soft top.

My .02 worth only, YMMV
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting point. I thought the Rhino liner would actually help create a better seal for the hardtop, but I could be wrong. I also got a quote from Linex to do just the top edge. They said it would cost $200-300.

The high cost is due to all the labor involved in masking off the vehicle. I'm not really interested in lining the entire tub though, just the top edge.

Any other solutions to preventing the scratches? Or do you guys just live with it? Or maybe I just need to be more careful in removing and replacing the tops...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had Rhino before (in a truck bed). It seems to be slightly softer and could make for a better hard top seal than paint alone. It's impossible for me to comment intelligently, however, as I don't yet have a hard top and don't know what sort of gasket if any the factory uses on them.

Me, I live with scratches on my rails.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

I've been thinking about doing the same thing... I've also been thinking about picking up the Lange Originals Paint Saver. I don't know if the product is any good or not, but it seems like it would help. Anyone out there use these things?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_230.htm

Also, check out this thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post332201

JK-RUBIJON did an awesome job with his bed-lined rails! Sounds like it's easy enough to do yourself.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

The Lange Paint Saver looks interesting...but it may be too late since I already have some scratches on the rails.

The liner that JK-RUBIJON applied looks fantastic! He makes it sound easy to do in his post, but I wonder if I'd be able to make it look as good as he did.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have only taken the top on and off one time, but I was EXTREMELY careful. When I put it back on I used the blue painters tape along the top edge until I got the top set where I wanted it, then I lifted the top up on one side at a time and removed the tape and bolted it down.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daedalus
I have a 2010 2 door Rubi. The top edge of the cargo bed is already getting scratched up from removing/putting on the hard and soft tops. I know it's a Jeep and scratches add character, etc but I'd rather prevent this from happening if possible.

Is it a good idea to line the top edge with Rhino liner? I got a quote of $140 to do this job. What do you guys think?
I did my entire tub today with the UPOL Raptor tintable kit as well as the top edge (rails). I run the hardtop in the winter and softop in the summer and mine was already getting scratched so figured I would hit that too. I was kinda curious also how the hardtop would seal. Im putting it together tomorrow so will find out and let you know...Here is the write up and a pic of the finished job...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...eep-Water-Blue

Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Wings
I have only taken the top on and off one time, but I was EXTREMELY careful. When I put it back on I used the blue painters tape along the top edge until I got the top set where I wanted it, then I lifted the top up on one side at a time and removed the tape and bolted it down.
Wow thats a lot of effert, never thought about the rails that much when installing mine.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the bedrail done with Line-x because of my soft top rubing the metal. It works really well and holds the top better.

Quick Reply: Rhino Liner around the tub edge?