Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing ball joints soon

Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbilly2783
How do you ck for ball joint wear? Thanks for your input.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).

Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

A dial indicator is the best instrument to measure ball joint play.

Jack the front tire off the ground.
Place a jack stand under the axle next to the jack.
Lower to put some weight on the jack stand.
Place a long pry bar under the tire, from the side.
Have someone pry the tire up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for up and down play.
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050"

Have someone grab the tire at top and bottom to wiggle the top in and out while you watch the upper joint for side play.
Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060"

Even if the upper joint checks good, change both if the lower checks bad.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcusjames2
Just finished the ball joint replacement this evening. Went well I have to say. Just took patience, muscle and like you all said, the right tools. The rentals from Advance Auto pressed the new ones in perfectly.

I did try the alignment on my own, but just don't trust my accuracy with it. Getting a slight flighty feel at times and the steering wheel is slightly off center. I'm going to bring it for alignment Monday.

Thank you all for your input!
Good call. Its hard to get the toe correct. Can be done, but so much easier just paying to get it right plus you have your numbers documented.

You may find the flighty feel is still there a bit. Believe it or not, the Synergy's have a break in period. I noticed this when I did mine, but all was well by 500 miles.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojohnso
Good call. Its hard to get the toe correct. Can be done, but so much easier just paying to get it right plus you have your numbers documented. You may find the flighty feel is still there a bit. Believe it or not, the Synergy's have a break in period. I noticed this when I did mine, but all was well by 500 miles. Good luck.
That's good to know. I did get it aligned and it is still slightly flighty, but I was wondering about break-in. That gives me some peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Replacing ball joints soon