Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing ball joints soon

Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing ball joints soon

I will be replacing my ball joints soon as they just started squeaking with 125,000 miles on them. I'm going to replace with Synergy ball joints. My question is with regard to tools. I'm wondering about people's experience with Harbor Freight ball joint kit vs getting loaner tools from Auto Zone? Which would make the job easier? Trying to make this as pain free experience as possible. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a rental from the local parts store. It had everything I needed and it was free. Make sure you have a good size breaker bar. My passenger upper ball joint just didn't want to come out. I was putting so much force into it that my jack stands and jeep slid across the garage floor a few inches before it finally released lol

There are a bunch of write-ups online

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Borrow the tool kit. The C is stronger than the ones in the cheap kits.

Instead of putting a ton of force on the press, tighten as much as you can with reasonable effort, then give it a few strokes on the top of the screw with a 3 or 4 pound hammer. I did this and they popped loose after a few hits.

You should make sure the kit has a tapered spacer. It makes the new top ball joint much easier to start in the hole.
Otherwise, you'll have to put washers under one side, trying to keep them in place as you go.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-27-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus 100 on getting an angled spacer like the one above or you will have to find some metal shims or the angle will kill you trying to use the flat spacer. Also something that helped me was the use of WD40 penetrator not the regular one and soak the edges in the stuff the night before working as it does help. Patience and raw strength are all that's left.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great feedback. Thank you all!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

The tapered adapters are Dodge/Jeep specific if you buy them. The taper is very slight. If you go to borrow and it doesn't have the Dodge/Jeep specific adapters, your job will be more difficult--you could end up getting a balljoint not fully seated. You wrote you wanted "easier". Easier is the proper tools ...

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Dodge-Join.../dp/B0002SRGW0
Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusjames2
Great feedback. Thank you all!
Had a friend help do mine but it made a world of difference especially with the synergy. You will be stoked.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The tapered adapters are Dodge/Jeep specific if you buy them. The taper is very slight. If you go to borrow and it doesn't have the Dodge/Jeep specific adapters, your job will be more difficult--you could end up getting a balljoint not fully seated. You wrote you wanted "easier". Easier is the proper tools ... http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Dodge-Join.../dp/B0002SRGW0
That's just what I thought. I saw a video where the guy was using washers for spacers, but I was nervous it might not install properly without the right tools. I will be sure I use the right spacers and adapters.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Going to tackle this ball joint replacement soon. Thinking of possibly changing tie rod ends too because my drag link was bad and ball joints. With 125,000 on her I figure tie rod ends won't be far behind. I only want to have it aligned once, so I'm wondering if I will need an alignment after replacing ball joints? If so I will do tie rod ends now, but if not I might wait.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusjames2
Going to tackle this ball joint replacement soon. Thinking of possibly changing tie rod ends too because my drag link was bad and ball joints. With 125,000 on her I figure tie rod ends won't be far behind. I only want to have it aligned once, so I'm wondering if I will need an alignment after replacing ball joints? If so I will do tie rod ends now, but if not I might wait.
Suggest you read up on aligning your Jeep. Unless you've damaged something, you should be able to align it yourself in your driveway. For an unmodified Jeep, that consists of straightening the steering wheel and adjusting toe. 30 minutes work with basic handtools--no alignment rack needed. Changing BJs does not necessitate an alignment. They aren't adjustable anyway. In fact, if they found they were off, repair is to replace with offset BJs! I'd recommend replace your whole tie rod with a good aftermarket one if you off-road. Synergy has a nice one. Adjust toe, recenter steering wheel, and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Replacing ball joints soon