Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacement gas tank

Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement gas tank

replacement gas tank....

dealer just told me EVAP leak is do to a cracked gas tank, fuel pump, and locking ring ! REALLY, is this a common thing ???

so looking on-line, 22 gal tanks are cheaper than 17 gal tanks, will a 22 gal from a JKU fit into a JK (2door) ???????
some crossfit sites say yes, others no ......

good at modifications !

any help appreciated,

Mike
Old 02-21-2020, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I doubt they will fit unless some major fabrication is done.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd be inclined to look at the crack myself if I were you. It's fairly common and a little epoxy makes a quick fix of it.

Jku tank in a jk- good luck. They've got extra length on us and the tank is pretty well set based on space available and the skid plate. I wouldn't even bother trying to go with a jku tank.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it's important to clarify that when he says "crack in the gas tank" are you referring to the plastic piece on the top exterior tank that connects the hoses or the actual metal tank is cracked? People have repaired the cracked plastic piece and it seems to have worked. If you plan on doing this job yourself you are gonna have the drop the tank anyway most likely depending on what's actually broken. I think you may have to drop it first and then figure out the plan of attack. I've been up in that hose area plenty of times and it is possible if that's it to just maybe even JB Weld it back without dropping it.

Quick Reply: Replacement gas tank