Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replaced Evap can and...

Old 09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Evap can and...

Hey yall... I finally got all the pieces in to replace the evap canister (ripped it off wheelin') and the gascap light and check engine light are still coming on. Yes I already checked all the hoses and ect... Does the computer need to be reset to clear this or should it just reset on its own?
Anyone have to deal with this yet? I know I'm not the only person to replace the evap...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to autozone and use their machine. You can reset the computer.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

These usually set a hard code in the computer and need to be wiped out, even after repair.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

1. When you took off the white part (scientifically called the white thingy with the electrical connection,) did you examine it carefully for cracks? POR15 is immune to gas fumes and will seal any cracks in it like nobody's business.

2. When you put it on the new cannister, did you check that green gasket carefully to make sure you had a good seal? (I even used a little silicone on it.)

3. When you put the white thingy with the electrical connection back on, did you make certain to install it the same way it came off? (So the electrical connector is sitting in between the two hose connections.)

4. If you relocated it, did you put it back in right side up? (With the three plastic tabs pointing up?)

5. Did you throw in a boatload of silicone dielectric into the electrical plug before hooking it back up?

6. Did you disconnect your battery while doing all this? One fellow advised me to turn the ignition switch to on after disconnecting the battery, then turning it off before reconnecting. I don't see what difference that would make, but what the heck, it's an easy thing to do. I found thirty seconds was long enough to erase those two codes. Longer than that didn't hurt anything.

I think the issue I struggled with was that I reinstalled mine upside down. Go figure. I haven't had those warning lights come back on since doing all of the above. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Thank YOU!!!!

That did the trick.... Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by fr33land
That did the trick.... Thanks
Cheers back to ya. Just out of curiosity, which one was it?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hmm....

so, there has been another thread commenting that the cheapo plastic evap can is a danger. was wondering, did you drive the car after this happened? I would assume not
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fubeka
so, there has been another thread commenting that the cheapo plastic evap can is a danger. was wondering, did you drive the car after this happened? I would assume not
It comes up from time to time. As the only major plastic target on the underneath, folks tend to notice it. Some people have ripped them off and others relocated them before that happened. Many have put K's and K's of miles on theirs without any problem whatsoever. There are skids as well as a relocation kit out for it.

Search the site and you'll find out tons of info on all this. As you find out more about this, you'll see it's drivable without it although you should find a way to keep the raw gas fumes from leaking out while waiting for the new parts.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
Cheers back to ya. Just out of curiosity, which one was it?
I had to seat the green gasket between the evap can & the ESIM switch (white thingy) and turn it (ESIM) 90 degrees. But I messed with the whole unit.

As far as driving with the evap can torn off... i drove the rest of my road trip (1000+ miles) and every few days around town when I got home and never had a problem. The way I see it, if it was that dangerous you would hear stories and news reports of me (or anyone else) getting "blown up" when they got rear ended...(holy PINTO!!!)
It needs to be addressed asap, and not to make light of it but If it really was that dangerous I have a hard time beliveing that DC would knowingly rush the JK out to the market knowing there was such a danger... I mean its not like they would just release a vehicle that stalls in the middle of an intersection... umm, i mean... Oh hell...

WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

There was a fellow on here a while back whose brother's JK went up in flames and was crisped in 9 seconds or so. There was some thought that it may have been due to (dare I say it) my favorite part on the JK.

Other than that incident, I was thinking those fumes would be minimal as well.

BTW, you forgot to mention the reason you were sitting there stalled out in the intersection in the first place: YOU COULDN'T STOP BEFORE THAT!

Quick Reply: Replaced Evap can and...