Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing TPMS

Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would happen if I ran new wheels and not swap the TPMS?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the TPMS be reprogrammed or turned off or must I look at that stupid little light all the time. All be damned if I'm gonna spend an extra $200-300 to put new sensors in or dismount and remount the factory tires to get them out.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Question Another TPMS question

Let's take this a little further for the not too bright type like me. I have stock 16 inch on my 08 X, bought some 07 Rubicon 17 in rims. Do I need anything extra to transfer the TPMS over? The tire guy mentioned that I would need new O-rings. Of course, the parts lady at the dealer did't know anything.

Thanks for the help. I have the BFG ATs going on this week.

Rick
Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rakcmei
Let's take this a little further for the not too bright type like me. I have stock 16 inch on my 08 X, bought some 07 Rubicon 17 in rims. Do I need anything extra to transfer the TPMS over? The tire guy mentioned that I would need new O-rings. Of course, the parts lady at the dealer did't know anything.

Thanks for the help. I have the BFG ATs going on this week.

Rick
you don't need new O-rings unless they were damaged taking them off. Mine have been changed from 3 different wheels with no ill effecfts. For the record, my dealer flashed mine for 28 psi so I don't have that stupid light on. They come from the factory set at 33 psi.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks BaltChief. Let's just hope Costco doesn't break anything when they do the transfer.

Rick
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah im just trying to find a way to remove tpms without dismounting the tire.

You can't. You have to remove the wheel and at least break the bead on the tire to get to the sensors. You may also want to speak to your insurance agent. TPMS is Federally required on all manufacturer's equpment from 2008 on. If you were to have an issue (accident or other) which could be tracked back to low tire pressure, they would probably not cover your damage. I spoke to one major tire vendor (and have read the same from others) who will not even mount tires on a vehicle that do not have TPMS in place because that would shift the liability to them.

I'm not an expert on TPMS but when I was buying new wheels/tires a few weeks ago I read that using flat fixing sprays in the tire would potentially damage (read ruin) the sensors.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 07-22-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing TPMS