Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 06-05-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys this is the BEST fourm I have ever been on! With that said I need some help. I need to know where the AMP is on the JK I just got my 2010 Jk done and took the top off a BOOM! No sound well not good anyway! My 07 didn't do this
And do I need a NITRO Amp or can I just jump the two wires like stated above with the Stock Amp?
Again Thanks for the help Jim C.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any Ideas
Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the amp should be under the steering wheel area... pull off the bottom panel under the steering wheel... should be their.. it is on the older jks anyway..
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

such an interesting topic, anybody test a 2010?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got my 5.38 Gears in today and I will know tonight! I have the Softtop on but I will jump the wire to see what happens
And yes the gears make a huge difference in power I love my Jeep
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JC JK
Guys this is the BEST fourm I have ever been on! With that said I need some help. I need to know where the AMP is on the JK I just got my 2010 Jk done and took the top off a BOOM! No sound well not good anyway! My 07 didn't do this
And do I need a NITRO Amp or can I just jump the two wires like stated above with the Stock Amp?
Again Thanks for the help Jim C.
you can just try the jumper. might notice some difference. I'm still running my Nitro amp and this spring when i took the hard top off and switched to the soft top or topless, I forgot to put in my jumper, about 2 weeks later, i remembered and hooked it up, wow big difference.

so the jumper and the nitro amp it does make a difference, but i never tried the jumper before i put in the new nitro amp.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JC JK
I just got my 5.38 Gears in today and I will know tonight! I have the Softtop on but I will jump the wire to see what happens
And yes the gears make a huge difference in power I love my Jeep

Please let us know. I also have a soft top an would be curious if jumping the wires will make an improvemnt.

I'm still curious what Chrysler's logic is behind lowering the stereo output when the top is off. I wonder if it's a mistake or maybe they wanted to reduce the occurance of blown speakers since people tend to play the stereo louder with the top down.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pueblo has a law against real load music. They usually have a low rider unofficial parade down main, with the music blasting. Two years back, they gave a ton of tickets. Last year they gave out less than the first year. Might be that type of consideration. I know I had my top down, riding on the light trails in the mountains… like the bass sound up there. I did not notice the change of sound when I went from hard to soft. But, then I played in a band for a few years… you think that might have something to do with it… 18 is low to me, talking music… 25 that is driving music.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well... I just went out and tried this. I have a 08 2 door build date June 2008. I have the 6 Premium Speakers w/Subwoofer M/FM/CD/DVD/HDD/MP3 w/Nav Radio RER. I got someone to sit in the jeep (I have both hard soft tops) under the sound bar and me in the back. I set it to 12 and placed the jumper in it. It did the pause, but no sound differance. I tried several times to be sure, and no real sound differance.

Oh well, I just have to keep it crancked.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well guys just got everthing Done! The Gears are Great! Now to the AMP and jumper loop, No change in mine. I tried many times no change at all. So my next buy is a NITRO AMP and Jumper loop. This is on my 2010

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output