Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple solution

And yes...it did make a difference in mine. Crappy blurry phone pics but you get the idea.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

i've read all the posts and will check this out in my rig when i get home in december. i will keep checking here to see how all is going and make sure. thanks guys
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have nothing to offer as to why this happens, but the CCN wire that you are jumping is the cabin control node wire. That is essentially telling the computer that you plugged in the hard top. The computer is then telling (or not telling as some have reported) the radio/amp how to operate.

This is just one of the many features that piss me off. I hate how OEM's put all sorts of automatic controls in vehicles these days to save consumers from themselves.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the immediate previous post, that's why somewhere earlier in this thread, i had mentioned that it may be beneficial for one to leave the original amp in, take it to dealer, request the flash be done for popping speakers, then their system shows your JK doesn't need to be flashed again, then take it home and put the nitro amp in.

My JK, built in June 08 came from the factory "preflashed" for the popping sound. i switched out the amp to the nitro amp, took it to dealer for free oil change. I asked if my JK had come from the factory with the flash for the popping of the speakers, service manager helped them hook up the computer to it and told me it has already been flashed and doesn't need it.

I still have the improved sound from the nitro amp......but only with the hard top on or with the jumper on the hard top connector.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bahadden
the reason you dont hear the sub "hit" as hard is the rear is a open space with the top off, also with the top off you would notice that your front speakers have more bass coming from them due to the lack of thump from the sub waves shooting straight out the drivers side and not bouncing off the walls of the hard top and creating a louder hit of the woofer, drowning out the bass from the mid range speakers up front. thsts a quick down and dirty
That's exactly correct. In short, once the top is off, sound is no longer reflected into the vehicle. On the contrary, it radiates out.

The net result is that the volume appears to drop and the base tones seemingly disappear.

I noticed this immediately. Later when I pulled into my garage since a passing shower was deemed likely, the volume and quality improved due to the sound reflecting off of the walls and ceiling.

IMHO, a loss of volume and quality is normal when the top is removed.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MaloCS
After reading tons of posts on the Nitro amp I have come to the conclusion that the reason it sounds louder is because the amplifier gains are not set properly. In many posts from people that have installed the Nitro amp they claim that once Jeep flashed the Nitro amp that the sound level seemed quieter. This tells me that the computer flash is setting the amplifier to the factory settings resulting in softer sound because the gains are now properly set. It appears that the Nitro amp comes with the gains at a higher level then what Chrysler recommends.

People also comment on how the bass seems fuller with the Nitro amp then with the original stock amp. I believe this happens because the brand new Nitro amp has not had the internal crossovers set correctly. Once the Nitro amp is flashed the correct cross over settings are applied and the bass now seems weaker. Why? Because the sub is being crossed at 60Hz which puts a ton of mid bass up front into the undersized 6.5" speakers. These small speakers just don't have the surface area to push enough air for the mid bass to thump. This is why most car audio gurus set their 6.5" component crossovers around the 100Hz mark. This higher crossover point sends the mid bass to the sub woofer which has the ability to produce higher SPL values then the smaller 6.5" components.

To summarize, the Nitro amp appears to be the same exact amp that comes with the JK. Unfortunately, the amp, when brand new, appears to have it's internal settings set to a generic value which results in the appearance of louder volume and stronger bass. But, once that amp is flashed and the internal settings are correctly adjusted the amp sounds exactly like the version that came with the JK.

:(

Just throwing this out, that maybe the Nitro amp settings are not incorrect (or generic), but set for the Nitro, which may be different than the settings designated for the JK. And quite possibly a re-flash of a Nitro amp in the JK will re-set those values for the JK, eliminating the benefit. This may account why what appears to be the exact same piece of hardware has different part numbers for different vehicles.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 AM
JK Jedi

I have read a lot on this topic and just don't get the variability. When I yanked my hardtop for the summer I expected the stereo (especially the sub) to really lose it's gusto since there wouldn't be much for the low end to reflect off of. Instead I didn't lose ANYTHING, in fact I think the stereo may have even had slightly more kick with the top off. Since putting the top back on, I have experimented with the plug in and out and don't really seem to get a noticeable difference.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Widewing
That's exactly correct. In short, once the top is off, sound is no longer reflected into the vehicle. On the contrary, it radiates out.

The net result is that the volume appears to drop and the base tones seemingly disappear.

I noticed this immediately. Later when I pulled into my garage since a passing shower was deemed likely, the volume and quality improved due to the sound reflecting off of the walls and ceiling.

IMHO, a loss of volume and quality is normal when the top is removed.

My regards,

Widewing

except that even with my hardtop on, if the connector in the back is plugged in much louder, especially with regards to sub's bass level. then with top still off, you can stand right there in the back, unplug it and bam!! Volume goes way down. so, in my case it is not fully related to just the enclosure of the top.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice day so I'm gonna go pull my top off. I thought I might bump it back up to see if anyone is having problems with their '09 JK's.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found this at Northern Tools store and works great for creating a pigtail jumper to crossover the cables. $30

Now you can easily do this without cutting wires on your Jeep harness.

It comes with two male and two female connectors that are the exact same connectors that are on the hardtop wireing harness. You only need one male connector to do this so two people can buy this and split the cost.

Here is the final product.

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output