Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the jumper from the purple with white stripe to the black ground as metioned above and i can tell a major difference in the sound and it hasnt seemed to cause me any problems i think its well worth the 5-10 minutes it takes to undo the wire loom find the wired strip off about a 1/4 in on both black and purple with white stripe and run the jumper wire and a lil letric tape tape the wire loom back up and bam your done and your stereo sounds as good with the top off as it does with the top on
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Jedi

Since this has been revived, I can say I haven't noticed any loss in volume or sound quality with the top off, in fact I think it might even be slightly "bassier". I expected the bass to suffer just by not having the top on to contain the sound, but it definitely still has plenty of kick.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having a dealer take a listen to my stereo this weekend, with the possibility of getting a Nitro amp warrantied. Will i still need to do this fix with the wiring?

Also, I'm confused about the whole jumper thing, any chance of detailed photos?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

i wonder if its the difference in years mine is an 08 and i see in your sig. pearl drum man that u have an 07? There was a substatial difference i turned the key on and cranked up the volume when i was putting the jumper wire to the negative so i know it worked on my 08
Old 07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, if these previous two or 3 posts are true, and if the clipping is done at the level of the amplifier, then one would assume that having an amp from a nitro would possibly remove this feature.

But who's to say that the clipping isn't happening from the HU not the amp.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

I read this post with interest as I am also in the middle of working with my dealer post SA flash to my Infinity and reduced volume especially in the bar. Anyway mine is an 08 and it was built 08/2007. I had my stereo on today in many diff volumes and settings, and jumped the two wires in each situation. The radio did cut out momentarily, but there was NO difference in sound volume or quality ever. Just the way it turned out on mine.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 8/07 build and I popped in a CD, cranked the volume, and pulled the hard top plug in and out, I do get a momentary cut out, but volume does not change.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 9/07 build with dual tops. I noticed after I swapped tops in the spring that I had what appeared to be a loss of volume. I thought it was my imagination until I read this thread. I jumped the purple with white stripe and the black wire and the volume doubles.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I had top off 1 month ago, installe the nitro amp, noticed a little bit of difference, had even done recordings inside the jeep and listened to side by side with a little bit of change from the nitro amp. then today had to put the top back on due to multiple days of 105 temps and need to tote the family around, and guess what, plugged in the hard top connector and voila, huge, I repeat, HUGE increase in sound of the overall system, especially the rear speakers and amp.

then switched out the amp back to the original amp, and top unplugged, vs nitro little bit of difference, but top plug back in and the nitro amp is much louder than the original jk amp. so i guess i'm going to have to do the jumper listed here so i have the "full nitro amp" level all of the time.

I'm talking about a differnece of listening at 22-25 with top on previously to now at about 16-18 with top on with nitro amp, only 2-3 point difference with top off.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

See my new post on this topic, thanks to all for your help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/wrangler-nitro-amp-issue-messed-up-50615/

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output