Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i took the top off i wasn't paying attention but i can say that the idea that the speakers changed was floating in my mind and when i saw this post i figured they did change. I know have to crank the volume up louder than i did with the hard top. I know that the soft top is louder but I'm comparing the two at a stop....
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

mine does it built 11/07 i think im gonna have to try this i think it makes an extreme difference and im not likin it
Old 05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aphazia
I thought I was nuts, but yes, GrassSeed!

I had the stereo going (MyGig, Infinity, Sub, bumping some Slightly Stoopid on a nice sunny day with a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy in hand..
No Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slightly Stoopid.....

How bizarre, I thought I was the only human on the planet that listened to them........ well, at least in Georgia!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GrassSeed JK
It does appear that the violet w/ white stripe wire enters into a wiring harness under the instrument cluster. What it connects to after that I DON'T KNOW! The instructions I have don't tell me.
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it would sure prove your theory if that wire connects to the amp (wiring harness) for the Infinity system, which is located under the instrument cluster.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a slightly older thread, but any new info.

I was wondering if this is also fixed in the Nitro amp switch out too. The nitro wouldn't be programmed to change with hard top removed, so might do it.

I'm still skeptical that this system would change that much.

Anyway, i should get my nitro amp in 1-2 days, so i'll lower the hard top and check the levels with current infinity amp, with hard top plugged in and out, then do the switch out of the amp and check with hard top plugged in and out and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, what I was wondering is if the hard top disconnection CAUSES the issue which they are using the Nitro amp to fix, and if having the hard top on would restore the soundbar to normal, or would it still be programmed to be somewhat limited, to make up for the poor quality speakers they put in there, and the design of the soundbar in general.

Edit: I mean, are they viewing the sound issue as the amp's fault, when it could be just because their hard top is off; where the problem could be fixed completely by putting the hard top on (or tricking the computer), or is the sound from the soundbar crappy either way by design, just slightly worse with the hard top off?
I saw your response in the other thread, and it will definitely be beneficial if you can test this.

Also, did you get your Nitro amp through Mopar online, or might it be slightly cheaper to ask the dealer to order it for me?

Last edited by entropy128; 07-15-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

moparpartsamerica dot com
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Let me get this straight...
You are running the sterio and disconnecting circuts?

That's not something you want to do as you could fry something and not have it work any more.

When working on any electrical system TURN IT OFF.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if this is related to the hidden option in the stereo (I have the 6-disc changer). If you hold the LOAD button while pressing the EJECT button at the same time, the display will cycle through the following options:

CLIP 3%
CLIP 10%
CLIP OFF

I'm guessing this is some sort of attenuator to protect the speakers from clipping (distortion) at high volume. I'm curious if maybe unplugging the hard top harness changes this setting in the stereo. I've cycled through them and don't hear any difference, but maybe this is only active when the hard top is installed or something (I don't have a hard top).

Since I can't do this experiment, maybe somebody else could: Hold the LOAD button and press the EJECT button once. See what the option is set to (3%, 10%, or OFF), then unplug your hard top harness and repeat the key sequence - did the value change? Press the key sequence again and see if the sound level changes back to what it was before.

Just a thought.

Anybody know any other secret options in the stereo system? I'm always intrigued by these kinds of things (sorry, I'm a natural born geek).
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed the stock amp for the nitro amp with the hardtop on and noticed a major difference for what's it's worth.

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output