Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like from the photo you posted it may be tied into the same circuit as the speaker wires......is that what I'm seeing? could be I don't know how to read the schematics also. But if that is true it may be altering the sound.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, CJK I really don't know... but is does effect the stereo on my JK. You'd have to talk to the Chrysler LLC engineers to figure out why grounding out the rear wiper effects the stereo output. If I recall my sales guy did mention that the stereo would sound the same with the top on or off. I guess this is what their engineer came up with.

And Rico, the dealer printed out the instructions for the hardtop wiring instructions (if your JK only came with soft top and later wanted to install OEM hardtop 16 pages total). The picture I posted was only the plug that connects to the hardtop. The rest of crap they printed out might as well been explaining how a monkey can eff a football. It does appear that the violet w/ white stripe wire enters into a wiring harness under the instrument cluster. What it connects to after that I DON'T KNOW! The instructions I have don't tell me.

NO WHERE HAVE I FOUND THE HARDTOP WIRING HARNESS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE STEREO SYSTEM. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I'M ONLY POSTING WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO BE TRUE FOR ME.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad you may have found the root of your problem GS.

Is anyone else experiencing the decrease of volume output when removing the rear harness from your hardtops?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

That's quite in interesting thread. I'll find out when I take my top off.

Now as for why, hmm, if unintentional, then they screwed up.

If intentional, the only real way to measure it with a DB meter. What I'm getting at is if you take your player up to max vol it will probably fart. Now most wont do with the top on since it's loud, but with the top of the volume might be reduced slightly to prevent the speakers from frying since it will obviously be played louder with the top off. So to measure top volume, you would need a db meter just to see if it's the same or not. If it isn't then it's kind of stupid that would happen but I guess a good ground would allow the amp to put more current through hence a little louder.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

I did that little wiring fix to ground the violet wire now when I turn up my volume, the wipers move faster and faster!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I did that little wiring fix to ground the violet wire now when I turn up my volume, the wipers move faster and faster!
Do you still have you hardtop on? And is it the front or rear wipers? I'd undo what you did ASAP before it causes damage possibly. I have not experienced wiper speed change but I haven't used them yet since I grounded out the violet/white stripe wire.

EDIT: I've talked with Northernmedic and yes he was joking.

Last edited by GrassSeed JK; 04-15-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He must be kidding. If you do your fix it means the rear wipers are disconnected.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverRubi2
He must be kidding. If you do your fix it means the rear wipers are disconnected.
After all the reasons I've been trying to think of why the wipers might be effected I never really thought that he might be yanking my chain. I was running with the idea he used a wire tap and still had it plugged in.

Well like I've said before DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCEW UP YOU JK

I do plan on doing a more detailed wright up on this when I put my hardtop back on after this weekend.(it's gonna start raining again)

And by the way... If we can please keep the bullshit in the pasture, because that's where my bull lives and does his business.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

I read through this and may have missed something, but did the fix completly work for you?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the fix has worked perfectly for me. It appears that Northernmedic was yanking my chain with the whole wiper speeding up issue. It hasn't happened to me or anyone else that I know of.

As long as you connect the CAV 3 violet/white wire to CAV 6 black wire (ground) you should be safe. I've checked and rechecked with a multimeter on the hardtop side of the plug and there is continuity with no resistance between the CAV 3 and CAV 6 pins.

Do you have the issue with the radio changing when you unplug your hardtop? I haven't heard from enough people to figure out what production runs are effected.

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output