Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing hardtop changes speaker output

Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing hardtop changes speaker output

So I was listening to factory stereo (7 speaker 368w Infinity) while removing the hardtop today and I noticed that when I unplugged the wiring harness that goes to the hardtop that the speakers cut out for a second then when they came back on the sub and sport bar speakers were not playing as hard. And that also the front mid range speakers were play more bass.

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the change? I've searched on here and the manual and have come up empty on this issue. I'd like to fool the system to play as if the hardtop were still on.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi

That's interesting. I'll have to check into that.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting , I took my hardtop off 2 days ago and I have noticed a change in volume settings and that it sound more bassy. I can't confirm till oct- nov. though because thats when I will put the top back on.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I was nuts, but yes, GrassSeed!

I had the stereo going (MyGig, Infinity, Sub, bumping some Slightly Stoopid on a nice sunny day with a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy in hand.. talk about a good weekend!), and pulled the hardtop harness, and the audio cut for about .5 seconds, then came back quieter.

I have no idea why... But you're not alone! I'd like to fool it as well, it had better sound with the plug in!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

the last time I removed my hardtop completely I didn't suffer from any volume loss. I also have the infinity sound system however my jeep was completely shut off while I was taking its top off.

Hmmmm...a rather interesting predicament
Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

okay. I just ran outside and turned the ignition into the auxiliary mode ( whatever you call it, right before starting it, so the electrical devices would turn on; radio, wipers, etc).

I turn on the radio, it was blasting Aerosmith if you were curious, put the volume up to 22 and then unplugged the electrical wiring harness from the back of the hardtop several times.

I did experience the 1/2 second shut off while unplugging and plugging the harness from the hardtop, however no change in volume from any of the speakers. I was in my garage and it was the next best thing to silence.

Maybe its a wiring problem? Sometimes I wouldn't even completely unplug the harness and just shake it around and I would get the 1/2 second delay. However no decrease or increase from the outputs of any of the speakers.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks neil17 for doing that quick test for us. And thanks to everyone else posting on here. Hey if you guys (and gals) could state if you have a 2 door or 4 door, model year (07/08) and what sound system you have (am/fm/cd, am/fm/6 disk cd, or MyGIG). Now this is just a guess but I'm thinking that this only effects the unlimited JK's with the Infinity amp.

I'm gonna run past the local dealer during lunch if I have time and see what they say, and also see if I can get a copy of the wiring diagram running to the hardtop. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

07' unlimited sahara with the infinity sound system single cd am/fm/aux.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

08 Unlimited Rubi w/ Mygig + Sub
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Default sound change

the reason you dont hear the sub "hit" as hard is the rear is a open space with the top off, also with the top off you would notice that your front speakers have more bass coming from them due to the lack of thump from the sub waves shooting straight out the drivers side and not bouncing off the walls of the hard top and creating a louder hit of the woofer, drowning out the bass from the mid range speakers up front. thsts a quick down and dirty

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop changes speaker output