Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Red Line gear oil

Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Line gear oil

I am changing my differential oil tomorrow and I will be trying the Red Line 75W90. I have used their gear oil in my Harley's primary case before and it was very good. I can never find enough Royal Purple when I need it, but found a good supply of Red Line.

So, is anyone else running Red Line in their diffs, engine, transfer case or auto trans?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Red Line is known in the Harley and racing crowd. They make good stuff. If I decide to go back to Royal Purple, I will hit you up for the hook up spot. Every time I go to Pep Boys, they are always one quart short for my needs.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PoorDad
Red Line is known in the Harley and racing crowd. They make good stuff. If I decide to go back to Royal Purple, I will hit you up for the hook up spot. Every time I go to Pep Boys, they are always one quart short for my needs.
Redline is great. So is Amsoil, RP, Mobil 1, etc.

My real thoughts on this might start WWIII....here we go.

People will tell you that they are using RP or redline or anything in their diff and say it works great. Exactly what in the world does that mean? Seriously. Does that mean it is amazing because it didn't explode a ring and pinion?

I use Mobil 1. Does it work great? I GUESS.
When I am driving I have this hidden talent to be able to crawl under the vehicle and look at my gears and bearings while still driving and not hitting anyone.

On a serious side though...if using redline makes you feel better then go for it. If you are worried it might be the only 75-90 oil that hurts a Jeep ...then dont. There is of course standard gear lube that ran in axles for about 70 plus years trouble free.

P.S.

Oil is just like beer and guns. Whatever people use or like is the best thing ever and everything else is average at best. Remember that.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I dont know about anyone else, but to me, "Works great" means smooth running without any issues. Maybe I am hallucinating, but when I changed out the gear oil from the factory at 10K miles, I felt a noticiable change in the way my Jeep drove. Now that I am at 48K, I can feel that that "smoothness" is not there anymore.

I know just about any synth gear oil would be good, just wondering if anyone was running Red Line and if they liked it.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 AM
JK Newbie

That feeling of smoothness is probably to justify the extra SYN OIL cost.

I am as guilty as the next person though. Synthetics give that warm and fuzzy feeling. Do they work great? Sure. They don't break anything.

Out of curiousity how much are you paying for redline?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running redline now, for everything except the engine. As was stated previously I think it's working fine and haven't had any issues.

I've been a redline fan for a long time, never had an issue.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Had a TJ buddy with a manual and sticking gears during shifting. He switched to Red Line and swears to a night and day difference in the way it shifts. Smooth as butter now, or so HE says
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use Red Line and it works great!*

*Note: no exploding gears, differential whine, or other issues that might make me want to crack open the diff. Your experiences may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. OAC.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are y'all using Redline in limited slip differential and if so are you using any limited slip additive packages?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorDad
Every time I go to Pep Boys, they are always one quart short for my needs.

Goto two Pep Boys then

Quick Reply: Red Line gear oil