Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Recommend me a tire cover for my stock spare

Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not meaning to hyjack the thread but i've got a spare cover from my TJ if anyone needs one, it fit my 32 x10.50r15's mud rovers well. shoot me a pm.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir
Here's my mopar one, I got it as part of my "$500 accessories" when I bought her. It's plain, but it does it's job and certainly doesn't hurt the JK's looks. Notice my corporate billboard under the gate lock, I gotta get rid of that!!!

Because I know someone is going to ask, the rod holder can be found here:https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/fishing-rod-holder-26302/

I've seen that logo before! Hello fellow Winnipeger!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by britjk
Cheaper. Put your spare in the back like I do and get rid of that funky looking tire carrier/brake light. Haven't figured out why people put a wheel lock on the rear when you can unbolt the whole carrier in minutes. My 2 cents.
Yeah, but unbolting the carrier while the tire is mounted is less than easy. Actually, it is a huge pain. Plus, the sizes are different than a normal spider that most tire thieves carry, so most don't carry a 10mm or whatever size it was.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Yeah, but unbolting the carrier while the tire is mounted is less than easy. Actually, it is a huge pain. Plus, the sizes are different than a normal spider that most tire thieves carry, so most don't carry a 10mm or whatever size it was.
Not to mention, most tire thieves around here tend to do their shopping at malls (I.e. the parking lot). It's a lot more suspicious if they're removing an entire carrier, rather than just a spare.

In any case, consider nothing on your Jeep (or any vehicle for that matter) Safe. If the want it, they'll get it. Wheel locks, door locks, etc only slow thieves down, but don't stop them from getting what they want.

It does keep the "honest man honest" though (As quoted from another JK-Forum member).
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

good to see i'm not the only DeadHead on this forum...RIP Jerry
this is what's' fixing to go on my spare tire cover..

Last edited by RubiCajun; 03-31-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freetail_Rubicon
Does anyone with a plain black one have an opinion on how it would hold up to silk-screening? I'd like to get my company logo put on there...
i have the bestop spare tire cover and airbrushed it. after 3 months of winter weather it's still holding up great. the only thing i will say is that the cover is slightly textured, so there are minor nooks and crannies to think about when silk screening or painting.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That popular auction site has an abundance of them.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the thinner removal doesn't work then why not go to the parts store and just pick up some black Vinyl dye? It comes in a spray can and I'm guessing for the $5 it costs you could cover all the ads up and still have some left over for touchups if ever needed.

Heck we should all swap around the tire covers so people wonder why so many jeeps are from out of town dealers...

Personally I'm thinking about getting this one:
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

I went to a local Canvas guy that does Boat covers, car covers, ect. gave them OD of tire and tire width. I said I want the best outdoor heaviest material they had in black. 1 day and 65 bucks later. a great LOCALY MADE tire cover. they can make any size. Most towns will have a local tent and canvas shop that can do this. I used Pauls Custom canvas in Denver...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Mark sent me one, thanks Mark!

Quick Reply: Recommend me a tire cover for my stock spare