Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Recommend me a tire cover for my stock spare

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheaper. Put your spare in the back like I do and get rid of that funky looking tire carrier/brake light. Haven't figured out why people put a wheel lock on the rear when you can unbolt the whole carrier in minutes. My 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by britjk
Cheaper. Put your spare in the back like I do and get rid of that funky looking tire carrier/brake light. Haven't figured out why people put a wheel lock on the rear when you can unbolt the whole carrier in minutes. My 2 cents.
He'd be pulled over in a heartbeat without a third brake light, here in MA.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
He'd be pulled over in a heartbeat without a third brake light, here in MA.
Exactly, I think the state troopers can legally beat the crap out of my for endangering the public here in the safety state.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default been there

I had a dealer logo cover on my yj. I took clean white cotton rags (old t- shirts) and lacquer thinner and wiped off the logo. Start with each letter and wipe only that area . You cannot saturate the cover as you may dissolve some of the vinyl. Once most of the logo is gone you can wipe the whole face of the cover to even out the finish. Remember don't wet it down, go easy with the thinner. Only do this on a cover that you plan on replacing anyway, so if disaster happens- no great loss. This worked very well for me ! EDIT- GUYS THIS WAS A SMOOTH FINISH NAUGAHIDE TYPE OF COVER NOT THE GRAINY SAILCLOTH TYPE OF MATERIAL THESE NEW COVERS ARE MADE OF....

Last edited by TINMAN080; 03-29-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
I had a dealer logo cover on my yj. I took clean white cotton rags (old t- shirts) and lacquer thinner and wiped off the logo. Start with each letter and wipe only that area . You cannot saturate the cover as you may dissolve some of the vinyl. Once most of the logo is gone you can wipe the whole face of the cover to even out the finish. Remember don't wet it down, go easy with the thinner. Only do this on a cover that you plan on replacing anyway, so if disaster happens- no great loss. This worked very well for me !

Very interesting!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
I had a dealer logo cover on my yj. I took clean white cotton rags (old t- shirts) and lacquer thinner and wiped off the logo. Start with each letter and wipe only that area . You cannot saturate the cover as you may dissolve some of the vinyl. Once most of the logo is gone you can wipe the whole face of the cover to even out the finish. Remember don't wet it down, go easy with the thinner. Only do this on a cover that you plan on replacing anyway, so if disaster happens- no great loss. This worked very well for me !

I carefully used a heat gun and a stiff plastic brush, same result. I left what I wanted and got rid of the advertisement for the dealership.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's my mopar one, I got it as part of my "$500 accessories" when I bought her. It's plain, but it does it's job and certainly doesn't hurt the JK's looks. Notice my corporate billboard under the gate lock, I gotta get rid of that!!!

Because I know someone is going to ask, the rod holder can be found here:https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/fishing-rod-holder-26302/

Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been thinking of getting a silver hardcover...however when i get bigger tires it will be useless... as for the silscreening idea i think it should work no problem but just keeping the print on would be an issues because it would get weathered, unless you maybe got some clear-coat spray and sprayed overtop of it should work though.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

As I said, the plain black Bestop is nice and really heavy material. No reason to think your logo wouldn't be fine silk-screened on.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karnuvore
wave that flag.....
Damn that's sweet!

Quick Reply: Recommend me a tire cover for my stock spare