Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Receiver and Towing question for a 2 door JK

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver and Towing question for a 2 door JK

I searched and could not find what I was looking for.

I hopefully will be able to move to Florida very soon and was hoping to pull a 5x8 trailer back vs. spending the dough on a big truck and flat towing the JK.

I was going to buy the reciever(aftermarket) and a mopar harness. I know on the earlier JKs you would lose your tow hook, but can it stay on the 2010? My tow hook is far left vs centered.

Also, how and who do you rent trailers from? Uhaul doesn't allow towing with a softtop . Would I have a problem towing with a softtop is that just a weird rule?

I will be well under the 2k limit of my towing ability, but would rather buy some toys for the Jk, then spend it all on an uncomfortable truck.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

My tow hook isn't even near my hitch receiver on my 2010 Sport. It looks like a simple 4 bolt installation but it took me longer as I have fat fingers and it was a bitch starting the nuts on the bolt while on my back in the cold at the time. Not that much room to work with...took 30 mins. I also bought 4x6 utility trailer with grated sides 4 months ago that I have yet to use for $300 on Craigslist. I will most likely use it for down the street trips to Home Depot/Lowes only. Don't know what difference a soft top has to do with towing....
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your tow hook is to the left, then any factory or aftermarket JK tow receiver will go in. The harness just piggybacks to the tail light harness, should be plug and play. As far as towing, I plan on hauling a 4x8 trailer from Vegas to Dallas with my manual (little lower rating than the automatic). I've hauled a 5.8 from Florida to Vegas before, that extra foot high can hurt in the wind, I think the 4 will tuck behind my JK better buzzing down the road.. Also consider your gear ratio, gears like 3.21s are a whole different animal towing versus 4.10s...

Oh and the top, yes they dont rent to 'convertibles'. I will try to get a friend with a JK, or truck even to just go pick the trailer up with me...then swap it out in the lot. They don't, or haven't, recorded the towing vehicle in my experience.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, how's the weather up there in Baltimore?
I'm down here in Columbia/Elkridge. Anyhow, I don't know about the tow hook removal/placement since mine came with the tow package already but I would think you might be able to keep it, depending on which receiver you go with. There's a few that are only about a foot wide and clamp around your frame. I've also seen some that span almost the whole width of the bumper and bolt between the 2 parallel frame rails. I don't know what U-Haul's problem with soft tops is because I'm fairly certain there's no Law about having a hard roof in order to tow. Now, granted I have a 4 door so my tow limit is higher, but I tow a boat and a pop-up camper all the time both here in MD and up in PA with no trouble, soft top on or off. I added a 7-pin and a brake controller for the camper since it has brakes but you should be fine as long as you stay within your LEGAL tow limit (just know that not only will it be illegal to go over your weight limit but if you were in an accident and were towing over your limit, your insurance MAY not cover you at all). I know you said you were staying under but just wanted to throw that out there just in case. I saw on a few other threads that people were saying "my 4-door tows my 5400 lb trailer just fine, I don't know why Jeep put such a low limit....".

On another note for the tow hook, if you do have to ditch it, you could always get a receiver hitch D-Ring Shackle to go in the hitch when you're not towing. I put one in mine and love it. It's got tons of uses, not to mention that it just makes your rig look more legit.

Personally, I think the receiver hitch will do you better than the truck anyways since you can tow again later, not to mention using a hitch mounted cargo rack to just about triple your cargo space. I bought one for my 4-door just to offload the coolers when we go out but it seems like I use that thing about once a week now.

Anyhow, have a good trip and enjoy that Florida night-life....since you can't enjoy the beaches anymore (I used to live in P-cola)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

If you have the auto put a tranny cooler on it!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info all.

I will enjoy the FL beaches. I am going back to hopefully work in Orlando and Live in Daytona so the east cost is still clean for now.

Honestly, the company moved me up here 2 years ago and I'd take the oily beaches of FL over Baltimore any day. The only thing I will miss(only now because I have a Jeep again) is the snow, but only because I want to go wheeling in it.....

I had to lose the hook when I had the tow package on my TJ, but I just figured why lose it if I can get a receiver that allows it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

like someone else said, get a buddy with a truck and a hitch to go rent the trailer, then just swap it out...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two questions:

1) Also consider your gear ratio, gears like 3.21s are a whole different animal towing versus 4.10s...

2) If you have auto put a tranny cooler in it

What is the effect of the gear ratio, and also what is and when is it helpful to have the tranny?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by levosgien
Two questions:

1) Also consider your gear ratio, gears like 3.21s are a whole different animal towing versus 4.10s...

2) If you have auto put a tranny cooler in it

What is the effect of the gear ratio, and also what is and when is it helpful to have the tranny?

Thanks.
A tranny cooler is like a radiator for your transmission fluid. The more you work the automatic transmission, the hotter it gets. Towing works it hard for extended periods and it can't shed the heat, so you install the cooler to keep it from overheating. It is a common upgrade to many vehicles (my buddy has an aftermarket tranny cooler in his minivan)

as for gearing, the lower you are geared the better for towing (4.11 better than 3.21)

Quick Reply: Receiver and Towing question for a 2 door JK