Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Recall question

Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer said they knew nothing about it. He said that he thought it was a hoax. I told him that I doubt it is a Hoax if the news broadcasted it. What is it with dealers not wanting to do recall or warrenty work. They get reembursed from chrysler. You would think they would want the work.
I took my f150 in two years after a front suspension recall. They even included a new set of tires. They said they didn't care because they would get the money back from ford.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where does the chaffing occur? id like to check my jeep just to make sure its fine.. we have lots of construction projects going on here and im planning a trip in the mountains.. I dont want to hit the brake pedal and feel it go to the floor...
-Christopher
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Chaffing

I haven't been to the dealer yet, but saw the area of concern. On the right front, right behind the shock where the inner fender and the frame meet, the brake line (metal) goes over the frame. I pulled my inner fender back a bit and could see the paint on the brake line was shiny. I just cut a notch in the inner fender about 1 inch wide and 1 inch high. Then I pulled and pushed the inner fender around to see if there was any more contact. This is on a 2009 2 door rubi.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

got mine 3 days after the recall came out. I am taking it in tuesday for that and the first recall (seatbelts i think)... i let yall know on wed.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knotaddicted
I haven't been to the dealer yet, but saw the area of concern. On the right front, right behind the shock where the inner fender and the frame meet, the brake line (metal) goes over the frame. I pulled my inner fender back a bit and could see the paint on the brake line was shiny. I just cut a notch in the inner fender about 1 inch wide and 1 inch high. Then I pulled and pushed the inner fender around to see if there was any more contact. This is on a 2009 2 door rubi.
Oh, well. I just went and check the area, and yeah, it hits. But my problem is last wheeling on Williams pass my right fender hit a tree stub and bent it a bit. So that plastic screw is gone, the fender is bent a tad bit and the inner fender hits the break line real good. So, I guess I might not be able to get it fixed under the recall due to slight trail damage. I will still take it in and see what happens... when I get my notice that is. Still waiting.

Last edited by DJSJK50; 06-17-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by donnie
Has anyone received anything about the latest recall?
At the dealer yesterday and they claim to know nothing as they havent heard from Chrysler regarding this.
Just curious.

Nature of Defect:
1. SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Number: 10V236000
Dates Manufactured: May 2006 to Aug 2010
Number of Vehicles Affected: 288968
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2009 Jeep Wrangler

Defect Description:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 THROUGH 2010 JEEP WRANGLER PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 15, 2006 THROUGH AUGUST 9, 2010. THERE MAY BE CONTACT BETWEEN THE RIGHT AND LEFT FRONT INNER FENDER LINERS AND THE RIGHT FRONT AND LEFT REAR BRAKE TUBES WHICH COULD CAUSE WEAR OF THE TUBES CAUSING A BRAKE FLUID LEAK.

Consequence of Defect:
A BRAKE FLUID LEAK CAN CAUSE PARTIAL LOSS OF SERVICE BRAKES AT THE AFFECTED WHEEL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action:
CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER TOLL-FREE AT 1-800-853-1403.
The initial date of 8/9/10 was corrected to 8/9/2009. Wranglers built after 8/9/09 are Not affected. And, only Certain vehicles within the range are affected. Look in your front wheel wells to see if your fender liners are touching the brake lines.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talked to the service department at the dealership today and they are aware of the recall but haven't been instructed to fix anything yet and that a notification will go out when there is one.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the current text from safercar.gov note the 4/22/10 build date. (Caps are theirs)

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
JEEP / WRANGLER 2007-2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V236000
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 THROUGH 2010 JEEP WRANGLER LEFT AND RIGHT HAND DRIVE PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 15, 2006 THROUGH APRIL 22, 2010. THERE MAY BE CONTACT BETWEEN THE RIGHT AND LEFT FRONT INNER FENDER LINERS AND THE RIGHT FRONT AND LEFT REAR BRAKE TUBES WHICH COULD CAUSE WEAR OF THE TUBES CAUSING A BRAKE FLUID LEAK.
Consequence:
A BRAKE FLUID LEAK CAN CAUSE PARTIAL LOSS OF SERVICE BRAKES AT THE AFFECTED WHEEL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER TOLL-FREE AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
CHRYSLER'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS K13. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HT*TP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

Last edited by kingteddybear; 06-18-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Recall question