Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Wheel Hub

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, I was able to get the lock back on the ABS module connection and clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery which also gave me the use of the speedometer back. So....back to square one with cleaning the rear wheel area to clear the sensors this weekend.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I have said this before - unfortunately as these Jeeps age more and more electrical issues are going to come up in lots of vehicles. I regularly spray the hell out of my connectors etc with Fluid Film or WD40 or Silicone spray to ensure they are waterproof. A maintenance plan such as lithium white grease or dielectric grease inside all connectors on the non-conducting portion and carbon conductive grease on the pins. Bit tedious but gives new guaranteed life to the integrity of connections you do this to. Dielectric grease is an insulator and water resisting agent so will not conduct. Anything that sits in the range of water, mud or dirt benefits from this treatment. So anything under the floor benefits from this as a first priority. I have a 2008 and have done most of my Jeep like this (including the sway bar motor) and seem to have zero issues driving in slush, water, snow, rain and salty roads so far. If you split connectors please ensure you disconnect the battery first just to be on the safe side and then your Jeep will never know you did it when it is turned on again so long as you remember to plug back together.
Hopefully this helps as I do not see any other way to get better reliability from the electrical systems in our older vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
richErich (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

I agree. This being my first Jeep, I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting in to. I've always been a muscle car guy so working on them doesn't bother me. I just hate tracking down electrical issues. I miss the good old days of fuel, fire, air to make a car/truck do what you wanted it to. LOL
Old 02-01-2021, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I want to post an update because you all have helped me out so much.
After taking a weekend off of working on the jeep, the issue with the ABS seems to have corrected itself. Perhaps the system need to reset? I have no idea. All I know is, I was driving to work last week and noticed that none of the lights had come on for the first time since I bought it. Later in the afternoon the traction control and ESP/BAS lights came on. I was able to get the traction control to go off by pressing the button and I'm not entirely worried about the other light for now.
Big thanks to all of you that offered tips and advice to help me convince my jeep to behave. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Hub