Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Wheel Hub

Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Hub

Good morning,
I'm new to the Jeep community and I love my Jeep already. I did, however, buy a project because I love making things my own. My jeep had nearly every ABS light on the dash on when I bought it. I replaced both front wheel hubs and sensors with new brake pads as well. Still the lights were on. I went to the local parts store, Autozone, and scanned it yesterday and got codes:
P0571 Cruise Control/Brake Switch circuit malfunction
U1417 Implausible left wheel distance signal received
C101F Right front wheel speed comparative performance
C107C Brake pedal switch 1/2 stuck
C102A Left rear wheel speed comparative performance
I already had a rear wheel sensor so I replaced that last night. My issue here is that the old one was completely covered in mud and apparently the inside of the wheel hub is full of mud. This was the case on the front as well. How does one go about cleaning that out as it seems replacement is not as simple as the front was?
I also purchased the brake switch but, from what I've read, it seems the lights would either not work or stay on if the switch was faulty.
Also, this morning the park brake light came on and stayed on as I was leaving my house so replacing the rear sensor last night has triggered a new issue.
Any coaching from you vets would be awesome.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

For the rear, you need to remove the rotor. Basically you take a soft hammer and bang the crap out of the rotor while you rotate it.
I had an ABS problem I struggled to fix for awhile. My fix ended up being the need to remove the large connector on the ABS system under the hood and spraying with deoxit.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I was hoping it wouldn't be too complicated to clean it out. I'll also try cleaning the connector too.
I also noticed this morning that when I start it, no lights on the dash. When it get's to about 5mph they all come on. I tightened the ground connection on the battery in hopes of a simple grounding issue.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

If things were that dirty, I'd remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor as suggested. Clean up real good and inspect the tone ring back there. Could be a chance the tone ring is gunked up so much the sensor isn't getting a good reading.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

That's the weekend plan for sure. I'll post a picture of the gunked up sensor that came out. Was terrible.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

This is what it looked like when I removed it last night.....

Old 01-19-2021, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I shouldn't have to remove the park brake to clean behind the hub, should I?
Old 01-19-2021, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's not exactly a hub in the rear. The bearing is pressed onto the shaft and that's held in by the 4 retainer bolts. You don't want to remove those unless you have to as you risk damaging the seal and that can cost a few bucks to replace. So to answer your question- no, you don't need to remove the parking brake to get it all cleaned up in there. Just hammer away with brake spray (being mindful to keep it off of the pads) and maybe a stiff bristle brush if you've got a lot of debris in there. It's not a bad idea to put some grease behind the parking brake shoes too if you can get it in there after cleaning.

All of that being said- you may find yourself replacing those rear axle seals if they're leaking and causing all of that debris to accumulate. Cleaning the sensor and tone ring are a good start, but if you're already in there then you may as well clean up all of that space behind there.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate it and that's definitely my plan. I also cannot get the locking tab on the sensor connector to lock into place. I've hit it several times with contact cleaner and cannot get it to slide all the way forward.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by richErich
I appreciate it and that's definitely my plan. I also cannot get the locking tab on the sensor connector to lock into place. I've hit it several times with contact cleaner and cannot get it to slide all the way forward.
I think this must be a common issue. Been that way on my '13 since my first regear years ago when they were originally removed. They push on but don't lock in place. You could literally pull em out; however, I've never had that connector come off. Kinda odd.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Hub