Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Tow Hook removal.....OH MY!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tow hook not in use. Was given to me, thinking its in near excellent condition based on who gave it to me.

FREE as long as you pay shipping.

PM me.

FD
Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need PB Blaster or Kroil. WD-40 won't do much on rust - it's a water displacer and lubricant but not really a penetrant.

I tried to remove two body bolts on my wifes 2000 TJ last week and they wouldn't budge at all. I soaked them down with Kroil and left them alone for an hour. When I came back after that, they came right out with no trouble.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck!!!!

I couldn't get mine off either. Had the bumper off, hit it with fluid, a massive air inpact gun from a buddy's auto garage, cheater bars, etc... Finally got a couple off to the point one bolt was left and ended up just taking a grinder to it.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by CoryB
You need PB Blaster or Kroil. WD-40 won't do much on rust - it's a water displacer and lubricant but not really a penetrant.

I tried to remove two body bolts on my wifes 2000 TJ last week and they wouldn't budge at all. I soaked them down with Kroil and left them alone for an hour. When I came back after that, they came right out with no trouble.
I'll have to look into getting some kroil. It wasn't the standard WD-40 it was a can of the penetrating stuff because that's what was available at the auto store.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'll have to look into getting some kroil. It wasn't the standard WD-40 it was a can of the penetrating stuff because that's what was available at the auto store.
PB blaster is readily available at almost all auto parts stores and hardware stores. Kroil is also good stuff, I just never see it anywhere I shop.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a buddy that swears by heating the bolt with a torch and taking a crayon and letting a little melt where the bolt and nut meet. He says it sucks the wax up in the threads(flows to the heat like solder) and lubes up the threads. Might be worth a shot if you pull the bumper you should be able to get a torch on the bolt heads and poke the crayon in from the open end of the frame.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The plastic bumper is like 8 bolts. Worth the 5 minutes to take that 5 pound piece of crap off and get access to the hollow tube where the nuts are. If your using heat. Heat around the bolt the metal will expand. Put an ice cube on the bolt it will melt then tighten it just to break it free then loosen it all the way.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
PB blaster is readily available at almost all auto parts stores and hardware stores. Kroil is also good stuff, I just never see it anywhere I shop.
That's the only bad thing about Kroil - finding it. I ordered several cans online a few years ago and when I'm down to the last can I'll order more. You can get it from Kano Labs or Brownells probably other places too but those are where I order it.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoryB

That's the only bad thing about Kroil - finding it. I ordered several cans online a few years ago and when I'm down to the last can I'll order more. You can get it from Kano Labs or Brownells probably other places too but those are where I order it.
Its allover. Almost every fastenal has it on the back shelf.

Quick Reply: Rear Tow Hook removal.....OH MY!!!