Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear sway bar removal?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear sway bar removal?

Will I get more rear articulation removing the sway bar? Would road handling be drastically changed?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really and not really. Took mine off a year ago (and the front) and it didn't make any noticeable differences
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Why do you think you would you get more articulation from removing the rear sway bar?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I had an XJ the rear sway bar was the quick to come off specifically for more articulation and disconnects on the front to lessen the sway on highway. Granted this was a leaf sprung rear but seems to me it still holds true. Connected equals less articulation disconnected equals more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the rear sway bar is not nearly as stout as the front sway bar so I am thinking you can pretty much get full articulation with it connected. if you are lifted you may need longer shocks and sb links to get full articulation but I doubt the rear sway bar itself is holding you back.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Will I get more rear articulation removing the sway bar? Would road handling be drastically changed?
Short answers: 1) No and 2) yes (and Google search this and find 10,000 answers to your questions)

Longer answers: As you know, the reason for disconnecting the front sway bar is so that the front and rear axles can move independently of one another while traversing uneven terrain, as the sway bars resist the movement of the axles relative to the body. But once you disconnect the front, the body should move essentially relative to the rear. While there could be modest gains in freedom of movement of the rear axle if the sway bar wasn't there, there are also off-road reasons to keep at least one sway bar connected, and all you have to do is go to YouTube and look at countless videos of Jeeps that roll over when they come down hard off a step and the momentum just carries the Jeep on over. A sway bar will help to reduce that momentum.

On pavement, driving in a straight line doesn't benefit from sway bars. But go into a curve or, worse yet, an evasive maneuver, and that's where sway bars (even one) may "save your bacon" and help reduce the risk of roll-overs. People who say that they've disconnected theirs and notice no effect are fooling themselves. I just added tires that are 1" taller, and I can tell the effects of a higher center of gravity when going into curves. There's simply no way I would ever remove both sway bars (but then, I also always ride with seatbelt fastened)

It's your Jeep and your life (unless you have a passenger or unless your roll-over causes harm to another individual) so it's your choice.

Last edited by Grand Umpah; 06-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I think you will find that your articulation is limited by shock length and bump stops not the rear sway bar.

I have not run either for a couple of years and don't mind having my ride feel like it is mounted to a giant piece of jello but my set up is not typical and is still very stable at speed with no sway bars. I do at some time plan to add an anti-rock to at least the rear to firm up the body roll and for off road stability and traction.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar removal?