Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Storage Compartment & locking it

Old 01-18-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiernan
Still, better than nothing. However, with a soft top, easy access is only a knife slice away, as Jake_Blues pointed out.
Well... it's actually only a zipper zip away-- but in my opinion, anyone who's gonna slice or remove the back or side window and climb/crawl into the vehicle cab to check the center console for an iPod is probably just as willing to smash a window.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failsafe security

Buy a dog with big teef! No key fob in the world will turn that off. >
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiernan
Hmmm...must mean the security system is a bit cheaper than I thought. I'd assume then that it's wired with the interior light. Any time the light comes on without using the remote to unlock will activate the alarm.
Ahhh... it's not wired to the interior light. It monitors the door closed switches inside the door. If you open the door, the alarm goes off.

(And I suppose it decides to turn on the dome light when one of these switches opens.)
Old 01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdrogers
Ahhh... it's not wired to the interior light. It monitors the door closed switches inside the door. If you open the door, the alarm goes off.

(And I suppose it decides to turn on the dome light when one of these switches opens.)
Yea, it's all wired into the CAN bus these days. The computer sees the door open switch change states and decides what to do about it (turn on lights, show the "door ajar" light on the dash, sound the alarm, etc).

Nothing is wired to anything direct anymore!

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doojer
Well... it's actually only a zipper zip away-- but in my opinion, anyone who's gonna slice or remove the back or side window and climb/crawl into the vehicle cab to check the center console for an iPod is probably just as willing to smash a window.
I believe this too. this is why I never left anything in any of my cars that would piss me off if it wasnt there when I got back. all that is in my jeep now is 70 cents and some burned CDs in the glove box. oh and my XM Airwave but that comes out pretty easily

also...what is the point of the piece of plastic with the hole in it coming out of the floor and thru the top of the compartment in the back? surely it cant be for a lock or something
Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GROC
also...what is the point of the piece of plastic with the hole in it coming out of the floor and thru the top of the compartment in the back? surely it cant be for a lock or something
Yeah, I think it's just a latch to ensure that the top is closed tightly enough to not get damaged when the gate is closed. I suppose you could put a padlock on it... if you really wanted to make the thieves curious
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I suppose folks could get those motion sensor or area sensor after market alarms installed... stick an arm in the vehicle and the alarm goes off.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Get a Mopar Trunk.
It covers the rear area from the back seats to the tailgate, locks from the inside, can't easily access the area (unless you don't set the alarm... ) even with top down.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by KiltedJK
That's why I have power-NOTHING.
X2 especially what I've seen in previous D.C. products. Less can be a lot better on a rainy or wintery night in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by KiltedJK
That's why I have power-NOTHING.
i dont have the power group either... but i never thought about the power locks basially defeating the purpose of the back storage area... good find

Quick Reply: Rear Storage Compartment & locking it