Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Storage Compartment & locking it

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Storage Compartment & locking it

Got my JK this week and absolutely love it! I did discover one thing different from what I expected though per salesperson misinformation (unless it is me who is wrong!).

The rear storage compartment is a nice little cubby hole that could be used to store valuables since the rear gate when closed locks the flap in place. The problem is if the windows are down or in soft top mode, I can just walk over and hit the power door locks to unlock the doors which also unlocks the rear gate.

It would have been much cooler to only allow the key fob to unlock the rear gate. That way you would have another lockable storage compartment in addition to the center console and glove box.

First, am I wrong about all of this? And then next question - what are your favorite locking rear storage accessories? I'm not sure what exactly I want to lock up yet when it's summer and the top is down, but I'm sure I will get some ideas in time! Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

It is true, if you got the soft top, nothing is secure except the central unit! I found something for the trunk, but a little expensive... look at: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14251_100_07.htm

-Marcel
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's why I have power-NOTHING.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john_w
The problem is if the windows are down or in soft top mode, I can just walk over and hit the power door locks to unlock the doors which also unlocks the rear gate.
This is not the case.

If you lock the doors with the key fob and after the security system is set (about 15 seconds), the door lock switches will not unlock the doors. You have to use the key fob or manually unlock using the inside door handle (using the door handle will then set off the alarm).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you lock the vehicle with the remote, once the alarm is active it should go off if someone were to reach over and hit the power lock button.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just walked out to the Jeep and tried this... Once the security system is set, pressing the unlock button UP does nothing. Pressing it DOWN locks the doors (that were already locked but you can hear the clicks).

Opening the door with the inside door handle sets off the alarm.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is nice to know. Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, if you have a soft top, a pocket knife makes all sorts of entry points that won't set off the alarm if used.

Also, that little trunk in the back could probably be opened from the other side if they grab it and slide the two tabs that hold the lid down to the floor out of their slots.

So basically, if you are going topless or using the soft top, don't put anything in the Jeep you want to keep safe, even in the little trunk area, unless you have some other form of storage.

Sad we have to think this way, but there it is.

-E
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

I stand corrected! Thank you guys for the feedback! As it turns out when I was testing this feature the other night I was not waiting the 15 seconds for the alarm to arm itself. Therefore the door locks were still working from the inside.

After reading your messages and noting the little fast flashing red light on the dash, I was patient and waiting for the flashing to slow down (15 seconds after locking) and then tried. Inside door lock switch then did what I was hoping, it did not unlock which means the rear storage compartment is also "lockable".

I do agree that rear lid could still be pried open if someone really wanted to but it's nice to know I have something there for less-motivated thieves.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdrogers
I just walked out to the Jeep and tried this... Once the security system is set, pressing the unlock button UP does nothing. Pressing it DOWN locks the doors (that were already locked but you can hear the clicks).

Opening the door with the inside door handle sets off the alarm.
Hmmm...must mean the security system is a bit cheaper than I thought. I'd assume then that it's wired with the interior light. Any time the light comes on without using the remote to unlock will activate the alarm.

Still, better than nothing. However, with a soft top, easy access is only a knife slice away, as Jake_Blues pointed out.

Quick Reply: Rear Storage Compartment & locking it