Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear seatbelts attacking passengers?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seatbelts attacking passengers?

I'm wondering if anyone is having trouble with the rear seatbelts going into "permanent ratchet" mode too easily... under normal use, it seems like my belts are attacking my rear seat passengers several times per trip.

I understand this mode is actually intended for car seats (i.e. pull it all the way out and then ratchet it back down to secure the seat), but I have no need for this feature.

Anyone know if the belts can be extended, or if the car seat mode can be defeated entirely? Anyone else having this problem for that matter?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, mine do the same thing...we have a car seat in the middle rear, but the rear seat do continue to tighten...

I do not think there is a way to defeat this, still checking...

will let you know if I come across anything
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

a known major problem.. Jeep now offers seat belt extensions.. they make all the difference in the world...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
a known major problem.. Jeep now offers seat belt extensions.. they make all the difference in the world...
I've read about those for the fronts -- do you know if they can be used on the rears as well?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

It is not just the Jeep that is prone to this....had a Sport Trac that would put the choke grip on anyone in the back seat with even the slightest braking action.

Seat belt extenders for all 3 seat positions resolved it as well.

Wife had a Mustang that had the same problem for a lot of people sitting in the front passenger seat (it seemed to be okay for anyone under 5" and 100 pounds, but much more, and it would choke grip them at the slightest whim as well, and once again, a seat belt extender cured its ills.

Curious note on both on the above in relation to the Jeep JK...both of them were first year model changes too
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

It seems to me only the rears are the ones with this issue.. I got extenders for all 3 rears and they work great now...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

I have the same problem, never heard of these extenders, what do they look like and where can i get them?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
I have the same problem, never heard of these extenders, what do they look like and where can i get them?
I got mine from jeep... I think they were like $12 each..
Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

I'll have to give my local stealership a call, thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Area-51
It is not just the Jeep that is prone to this....had a Sport Trac that would put the choke grip ...
Wife had a Mustang that had the same problem for a lot of people sitting in the front passenger seat...
Same issue with the front passenger seat in my 2000 Suburban and my father's Silverado of the same year... seems to be a widespread issue, not just with DC. It drives everyone who sits in that seat insane.

Quick Reply: Rear seatbelts attacking passengers?