Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear seat reinstallation - 2 door.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat reinstallation - 2 door.

This last weekend was the first time I took out the rear seat in my newly purchased 2 door Sahara. Upon reinstalling it, I found myself having a bit more trouble than anticipated with such a simple task.

Can anyone tell me why there are two sets of forward bosses on the tub for the seat base to latch onto?

I wrestled with both sets until I think I went with the rear-most pair.. and as the seat un-tumbled, I pushed the spring loaded seat base mechanism forward in order to get the rear latches to line up and grab their mounts. It just seemed a bit odd to me.

Thanks,..
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats how it clamps and holds when the seat if folded forward. its very easy to operate once you see how it works.

black clamp first, then rock it forward. it'll catch. Then fold it down to the rear clamps.

This is light years ahead of the TJ design!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I had that same issue! Took me a while of frustration before realizing the rear clips in first, rock it forward to clip into the front, and then back and locked into the rear. Once you get it down its easy (except for that rear seat weighs a ton).
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. I'll have to try that method of getting the seat in place. Sounds a lot easier than the wrestling I was doing!

Do you know what the two pairs of bosses are for up front? What I mean, is, why are there a total of six bosses on the tub, while the seat base only uses four of them?

I questioned as to whether we have an option as to how we reinstall the rear seat - but it doesn't appear to be that way. It seems as though only the rear-most forward bosses are the ones that work and allow the seat to line up with the true rear-most bosses. Am I right in that?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two forward most bosses are used as something of a guide. I'm pretty sure the forward most ones are something of a hinge for the seat. The seat hooks in and hinges on the front. The middle one seems to actually lock the seat in place, so you get the ability to hold the seat up vertical on its springs when folded up. You can fold the seat flat by releasing the seat from the middle bosses , and lowering the seat down, so that the front most bosses keep holding the seat in place...
Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my front boss rides in the passenger seat and tells me where to go.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT is so clear now

Quick Reply: Rear seat reinstallation - 2 door.