Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear seat help, please?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat help, please?

Ok. I started my attempt at cleaning the jeep today.
After several hours on the outside, I decided to get after the interior. I yanked the front seats with no problem, but when I got to the rear (the easy one), it is stuck.
It will fold down, but not forward.
I even tried unbolting the back from the base, and pulling the release cables manually, but it won't budge.
My next step is a crowbar, but I fear that will damage both my seat and the floor of the jeep.

Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Is there any dirt/grime stuck in the hinges? Sounds silly but I wouldn't think it would take much to get wedged in there and create some problems. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

I've sprayed underneath with so much pressure, there's probably no paint left under the seat. . Lol.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi

Lol. After I get my kids to sleep I'll tinker around with my seat to see if I can figure out some possibilities.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Junkie

Cool thanks. I can't remember how the underside works, and I can't see it.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Crash- is the latch even disengaging? If it is, I can't figure why the seat wouldn't move forward unless something is blocking one of the "hinges." Looking at the underside of the larger seat, it appears the seat essentially sits on four vertical pieces of steel. Each bar appears to have a bolt on the bottom to the floor frame and a bolt on the top connected to the seat. When you pull the latch and start to move the seat forward, the bar angles forward by spinning on the aforementioned bottom bolts so the bar becomes horizontal with the seat.

The bottom of these bars have a cut such that it looks like anything underneath them would prevent the bar from moving. It might be worth spraying some WD or something in there where the bolts are.

It looks like the only mechanical part of the system is the latch itself. The bar "hinges" are pretty straightforward. I'll see if I can get pics tonight but I might not be able to do so until tomorrow after work.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

To be clear about my problem, the back seat folds, but does not roll forward.

I'll try wd40 tomorrow. Might be the mud rusted something a little. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Try something a little better than wd 40 if you have any machine shops around get some aerokroil. that shit is amazing and if your hinges are siezed that will get er done!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Crash...what year is Tonka? Do you know if all of the rear seats are the same? I have an '09.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

2008 model.

Quick Reply: Rear seat help, please?