Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

REar seat headrest issue!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REar seat headrest issue!

Is there any way to move the rear seat headrests at all other than when the seat is flipped down? Not like I am the one sitting in the seat, but my daughter made a comment on day one about how uncomfortable the headrest is.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

I don't think so. I've seen a thread on here with pictures that showed a guy bungee cord the head rest pulled all the way back and down so he could see better out of the back window. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem.

I was able to lay the headrest down by removing the springs from the post that make the headrest pop back up each time you put the seat up. The headrest can be removed from the post it sits on easily and you'll have a better view of the spring. I don't have any pictures of where the springs attach to the headrest but there is a small u-shaped end on the spring that goes around the headrest support. I used a small flat head screw driver to remove the spring from the posts.

I followed directions from another post I saw about completely removing the headrest.

jk-forum.com/showthread.php?6069-Rear-headrest-removal
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i removed mine completly in my 4dr. one of my first mods. u need to remove the cable, bracket that mounts it, and the headrest. its quite simple, but a lil involved as u need to unzip the fabric and pull it up exposing the inside of the seat. there is a cable that runs down the outside of each seat, and hooks to the bottom. thats the cable that makes them fold. u remove that and the bracket ontop with 2 10mm bolts holding it. the zippers are on the outside also . u will see them. takes about an hour to do, and dramatically improves vision!! i have had ppl in the back since and no one mentions the missing headrests!! lol
note... after u remove the brackets and whatnot, there will be an "indent" in top when u push on fabric. this is due to the headrest bracket not being there. but like i said no one notices except me driving! give it a shot! way better than the bunjee mod.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=headrest
this shows the whole job!
1st page shows how to remove headrest. enjoy!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all. My daughter's head hits at the base of the rest which protrudes out the furthest and hits her in the back of her head leaning her head foreward. Looks like my weekend mod is set for this week!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, for the most part the headrest removal was piece of cake. Took about an hour with only one injury. Note to self and anyone else who attempts this. If you fold down the headrest to get at the clips so you can pull the headrest off, pull towards you from the rear. Wasn't thinking (obviously) and attempted to push the headrest off towards the back of the jeep while in the seat. The headrest came off with some effort. At the same time, I got to close and the posts from the rest snapped back up and split me open right over my left eyebrow. Yup that stung a bit. A butterfly stich later and I finished the job!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol ouch! lol

Quick Reply: REar seat headrest issue!