Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Main Seal repair

Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bamablocker
Hey guys new to the forum! First time jk owner but had a YJ a few years back so quite the upgrade and loving it. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago now. 07 with 65k miles. Took it to the stealership to get an oil change and they switched out a recall with something in the steering. Can't remember at the moment. But they also said I had a rear main seal leak. After researching the forums and seeing it could be other issues I brought them up to the dealer and they proceeded to tell me how skillfully trained their mechanics are and if I wanted to spend $160 for a UV fluid they'd be happy to do that and prove it was a rear main seal leak and not something else. Well I checked and there wasn't any dripping going on but it's got some moisture. I'll take a pic when I get home and get a second opinion of what y'all think.
This is a pretty easy job to pull off in a weekend. It's time consuming but is not very difficult. Might as well being as the weather is going to start getting better over the next 8 weeks.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! You got your clock spring replaced under the recall. Just had mine done and it fixed my broken cruise control as a bonus. Keeping it on topic, I had my rear main seal changed for the second time couple weeks ago. First one went around 90k and this most recent now at 190k miles. Lucky enough to have a lifetime power train warranty. Hope this one lasts another 100k at least!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JK09TX
Has anyone ever had to replace their rear main seal? If so how much were you charged for all the service? I was given an estimate for $489 dollars. I wanted to know if this sounds about right or not. Here a picture of what I am seeing under my Jeep. I believe this is the problem. Any advice would be great.Attachment 539928
What your picture shows is the classic upper oil pan gasket leak. There are two oil pan gasket the upper and lower and the upper is the one that leaks. It is really easy to replace, just remove the hardware securing the pan and drop it. You can do this when you change your oil next.

I used gunk engine cleaner instead of brake cleaner. The Gunk Engine cleaner works really well.

R/
Will
Old 04-07-2017, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canvas
What your picture shows is the classic upper oil pan gasket leak. There are two oil pan gasket the upper and lower and the upper is the one that leaks. It is really easy to replace, just remove the hardware securing the pan and drop it. You can do this when you change your oil next. I used gunk engine cleaner instead of brake cleaner. The Gunk Engine cleaner works really well. R/ Will
This is spot on advice.

When doing my clutch I did the intake manifold gasket, rear main seal, and both upper and lower pan gaskets. All had either leakage or very apparent soaking.

Not sure why that would be.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mail seal 07 jk

Hey. New on the list. Thanks for all the other info I’ve used but I need to ask if someone has done a rear crank seal after they changed the design from aluminum housing to steel? I was told I need new bolts and it requires no gasket. I bought the new one and to me it doesn’t look nearly as well designed as the original one. Also looking for the torque specs for the 10 mm bolts.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal repair