Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear headrest squeek?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear headrest squeek?

My right rear headrest squeeks like crazy when driving down the road on my 2012 jku. Its so annoying I have to fold that seat down in the back. Is anyone else having this problem and whats the fix?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats odd... Have u tried a little grease on the posts? I took mine out since I have a 2dr with useless back seats so I don't have that problem...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jmac1225
My right rear headrest squeeks like crazy when driving down the road on my 2012 jku. Its so annoying I have to fold that seat down in the back. Is anyone else having this problem and whats the fix?
Yes, my driver side has been doing that for months. It drives me crazy. I have sprayed a couple different types of lubricant on the moving parts I can get to. It seems to do more when its cold for some reason. I end up folding my seat forward as well. It's very annoying. I'll keep trying to fix it. Let me know if you find a way.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed my rear JKU headrests completely. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to see out the rear. Plus folding the seats down is way less annoying w/o that folding headrest constantly in the way.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EN2DIRT

Yes, my driver side has been doing that for months. It drives me crazy. I have sprayed a couple different types of lubricant on the moving parts I can get to. It seems to do more when its cold for some reason. I end up folding my seat forward as well. It's very annoying. I'll keep trying to fix it. Let me know if you find a way.
I've tried to spray lubricant in it a couple times as well but it still squeaks. Mine is also the same as yours that it is worse in the cold. I'm going to bring it up next time I go get an oil change at the dealership but I'm not expecting to have much luck there.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup drivers side rear headrest squeaks like crazy ever since I removed the hardtop for the first time. No sqeak b4 that. Put the top back on and then noticed the squeaking ever since then. I think from the moisture in the air from having the top off. Took it to the dealer they were going to look at it while getting the oil change. But they wanted 2 more hours of my time I didn't have that day to look at it. The squeak is in the upper part of the headrest so I think I'll take the cover off and WD that baby up on the inside and let you know if it fixes it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
Yup drivers side rear headrest squeaks like crazy ever since I removed the hardtop for the first time. No sqeak b4 that. Put the top back on and then noticed the squeaking ever since then. I think from the moisture in the air from having the top off. Took it to the dealer they were going to look at it while getting the oil change. But they wanted 2 more hours of my time I didn't have that day to look at it. The squeak is in the upper part of the headrest so I think I'll take the cover off and WD that baby up on the inside and let you know if it fixes it.
Sounds good. I hope someone can come up with a fix or I might be removing my headrests
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

I had this problem and got it fixed under warrenty. I could not figure out where the squeak was coming from. I had my son crawl around back there while I was driving until he found it. The dealer gave me no trouble. I think they replaced the whole back seat. No problems since and thats been about 20,000 miles ago.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thomslife
I had this problem and got it fixed under warrenty. I could not figure out where the squeak was coming from. I had my son crawl around back there while I was driving until he found it. The dealer gave me no trouble. I think they replaced the whole back seat. No problems since and thats been about 20,000 miles ago.
Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so ill need to fix myself. Hopefully one of us will be able to figure out how to fix it.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EN2DIRT

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so ill need to fix myself. Hopefully one of us will be able to figure out how to fix it.
I'll make sure I update this thread if I find a way to get rid of the squeak

Quick Reply: Rear headrest squeek?