Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear E-Locker Trouble

Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No warranty
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

any news on this? I have the same problem with my front locker. took the diff cover off and I can see the plate move but not enough. can force it by hand to engage but wont stay. NO Warranty need a real solution
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chardrc
any news on this? I have the same problem with my front locker. took the diff cover off and I can see the plate move but not enough. can force it by hand to engage but wont stay. NO Warranty need a real solution
My rear locker had the same issues as your front (and other rears referenced here). I was still under warranty so i took it to the dealer. After troubleshooting it, they advised me that chrysler doesnt bother with attempting repair of the locker itself once it begins to fall apart, so they replaced the entire locker and carrier. I understand this isnt an option for you, but mention this to reference that you might not have any luck finding anyone that has fixed it other than under warranty or just going with an aftermarket option. As Wayalife will tell you, with larger than stock tires its really just a matter of time until the locker starts to break down.

-Adam
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by isolated1523
My rear locker had the same issues as your front (and other rears referenced here). I was still under warranty so i took it to the dealer. After troubleshooting it, they advised me that chrysler doesnt bother with attempting repair of the locker itself once it begins to fall apart, so they replaced the entire locker and carrier. I understand this isnt an option for you, but mention this to reference that you might not have any luck finding anyone that has fixed it other than under warranty or just going with an aftermarket option. As Wayalife will tell you, with larger than stock tires its really just a matter of time until the locker starts to break down.

-Adam
Not sure if your still in need but...we had problems with the rear locker on a buddies rig while wheeling out of state. The rear locker would engage then as soon as you put a load on it it would snap back out. We took it apart in the field and it seemed that the spacer wasn't moving far enough to fully engage. It would only partially engage. The final solution was to put in a D60 spacer, or plate (little thicker) and it wound up engaging and disengaging better than when new. This fix was found online but don't remember where we found it though, sorry. Locker still works great with no problems or side effects and has done so for about 4-5 months now. Good luck if your still working on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The D60 spacer is the trick, it seems. Spend some time on Google and you'll find the thread.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 10-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Took my 2008 Rubi Unlimited to the dealer yesterday, the sensor wires were broke off at the connector. Of course they had to order the part in. I went to pick it up tonight and yes the axle was locked. So had to leave it there. From what I've read on this site and another was that they tried to do it the quick way which is the wrong way. Luckily I got the lifetime drivetrain warranty when I bought it. I guees the thought hey this will be easy. HA guess again...now they will have to do it the right way. I hope they figure it out fast cause I'm driving a Grand Caravan rental

Jon
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default help

Originally Posted by chardrc
im having the exact same problem. it appears that people are putting a shim in it but in order to do that you must have to pull everything completely out? im trying to do it myself but i dont think i could do that and i need to have it back together tomorrow :( im new to these fourms but still looking for a fix besides the shim. seems to me it just needs a little adjustment or lubrication but i cant figure it out

Quick Reply: Rear E-Locker Trouble