Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear E-Locker Trouble

Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear E-Locker Trouble

My rear e-locker would not engage so I took it into the dealership. They said it was a bad sensor. They went to replace it today and the diff locked (in 2wd). It would not unlock. They put the old sensor back in and it did the same thing. After looking on here, I told them to remove the sensor and manually unlock. It worked, so I went to Lowes and put a bolt in the sensor hole for now. I am thinking they were installing it wrong. They wanted to rip the rear end apart and look at it. Im pretty sure I saw a thread on here with pics showing how to correctly install this but can't find it now. Am I way off base or does it sound like they didn't know what they were doing...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Maybe this post
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=locker+sensor
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The proper way to remove and install the locker sensor is with the differential out.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for help. Could the plunger be tested by hooking up the electrical connector outside the housing and hitting the locker switch? Thinking it would actuate the plunger and I could tell if it was bad or not?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rirvan79
That's what I was looking for. Thanks for help. Could the plunger be tested by hooking up the electrical connector outside the housing and hitting the locker switch? Thinking it would actuate the plunger and I could tell if it was bad or not?
Hitting the switch isn't going to actuate the plunger.

It's the movement of the locker disc that moves the plunger.

Turn on the power, and move the plunger in and out. If the light in the cluster blinks in one of the positions, and not the other, the switch is good.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

So if the plunger was bad, could that keep it from locking or would it still lock and just show that it's not?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Plugged in the sensor. When I pull out on the plunger, the locker light goes solid. Im thinking that means the sensor works. Also when I hit the switch to engage the locker, the plate moves but axle does not lock. Any thoughts...?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

If it's not an easy fix, I'm going to leave the sensor out and run without a locker until I can afford some airlockers. Anyone know if this could cause any problems?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Thought I would revive this thread to see if anyone had came across any new info on the stock lockers. I got the sensor in by slightly pulling out the carrier. I was able to lock the rear by gently pushing the lock plate. It would hold for a little bit but when you put resistance on one wheel, it would disengage. Seems like whatever causes the plate to move, doesn't have enough force to engage it and keep it there. The plate moves slightly trying to engage, but won't lock without a little help. Any ideas?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Are you still under warranty?? If so, why aren't you letting the dealership deal with it and fix it?

Quick Reply: Rear E-Locker Trouble