Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear door handles dont work...

Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door handles dont work...

2007 Jeep Wrangler jk. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix it. When I press the door handle button from the outside of the jeep or won't open the door. I took the plastic door panel off and the door handle off as well. I can manually push my finger into the whole and press the flap down to open the door but when installing the handle it's as if the metal rod connected to the handle button doesn't extend far enough to open the door... u can open the door from the inside no problem. Also this problem started after rubbing against a rock wheeling. Than about 5 months later I rubbed against a tree now both rear door handles don't work...
Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the door locks actuating. Do you have electric locks? If so check that the wiring harness is plugged in properly.

Sounds to me like a door lock issue due to the fact the inside handles work properly.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Are the door locks actuating. Do you have electric locks? If so check that the wiring harness is plugged in properly. Sounds to me like a door lock issue due to the fact the inside handles work properly.

They are not electric locks. And it's the rear door. With the door handle off the jeep of i stick my finger in the hole there is a metal flap that's supposed to get pushed by the rod from the outside door handle. But it's as if the rod isn't long enough to push the flap down far enough to open the door.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the rod bend (and become effectively shorter) when you rubbed?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Did the rod bend (and become effectively shorter) when you rubbed?
does appear like that's the problem, I also bought new door handles just to make sure. I took the door panel off and such but I didn't take off the inner door panel where the mirror track is and such I might do that and try to see what happened that way. "Annoying" I'm surprised I can't find any info on this happening to anyone else on here with manual locks etc lol
Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
does appear like that's the problem, I also bought new door handles just to make sure. I took the door panel off and such but I didn't take off the inner door panel where the mirror track is and such I might do that and try to see what happened that way. "Annoying" I'm surprised I can't find any info on this happening to anyone else on here with manual locks etc lol

Meant to say "doesn't" and I dono why the hay this app won't let me upload photos
Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a phone app or a browser for the Forum?

Also, I don't remember anyone having this problem with their doors either.

Quick Reply: Rear door handles dont work...