Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Dana 44 Axle Shaft Removal

Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miknov
daphuq...i could use some voice right about now...

Anyone know any tricks? Jeep is in my garage...don't want to put it all back together to drive it out to use a tractor to pull the shaft out....short off bolting something to floor for leverage...not sure how to pull the shaft out lol don't especially want to take apart the ebrake assembly apart to hammer out either,.,...

I once used a "comealong".

Wrapped the cable around the axle flange and hooked the other end to the bumper of a truck parked next to it.

I put tension on the axle and hit the center of the flange with a hammer and it popped out.

The other side I had to run the cable out the garage side door and hook it to the porch railing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	comealong.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	389916

Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slide hammer with an axle puller attachment. Will pop it of in a few good slides.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I flipped the rotor around and threaded a few lugs so that I could use the rotor as a slide hammer. Came right out with a couple of pulls even with bent splines.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phrogmech46
I flipped the rotor around and threaded a few lugs so that I could use the rotor as a slide hammer. Came right out with a couple of pulls even with bent splines.
We tried that too, it didn't work for us likely due to corrosion from living in the rust belt.

Op rent a slide hammer like I posted above and use the axle puller attachment. That is what it's made for and you won't break anything like you could beating on it with a hammer
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply dudes. I really appreciate it. Going to heed your advice.

On another note, I ran across a heckuva pickle I think...

The ABS tone ring.

I didn't realize there was one on the factory axle shaft and I already pressed the bearings and seals onto the replacement factory shaft.

So in effect, I won't have a tone ring on the one wheel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ECM will interpret the wheel without the tone ring to be stationary. In effect, rendering traction control inoperable or worse going off when I don't need it to.

What do you guys do when replacing axle shafts and the tone rings? Cause I imagine they don't just slip off the stock shaft...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Don't want to hijack but what about getting the other half of a broken shaft out? If you guys are having trouble pulling a whole shaft out, I imagine ill have issues getting the broken piece out with a magnet. Thnx
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
Don't want to hijack but what about getting the other half of a broken shaft out? If you guys are having trouble pulling a whole shaft out, I imagine ill have issues getting the broken piece out with a magnet. Thnx
Damn hijackers! haha kidding

Which piece are you talking about? The shaft end piece or the flange piece?

I reckon you'll be taking apart your spider gears and flushing out the gear oil in case there are any remnants left over.

-----------------

As for my case...I'm currently building a bearing puller for the shaft. Hoping I get away without having to destroy 150 bucks worth of brand new bearings and locks to just get a damn ring tone on there...faaaack.

Still curious to know what you boys do when you guys upgrade to chromoly shafts...do your kits come with the ring tone already?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miknov
Damn hijackers! haha kidding

Which piece are you talking about? The shaft end piece or the flange piece?

I reckon you'll be taking apart your spider gears and flushing out the gear oil in case there are any remnants left over.

-----------------

As for my case...I'm currently building a bearing puller for the shaft. Hoping I get away without having to destroy 150 bucks worth of brand new bearings and locks to just get a damn ring tone on there...faaaack.

Still curious to know what you boys do when you guys upgrade to chromoly shafts...do your kits come with the ring tone already?
My chromos from northridge came with bearings and ring already pressed on and ready to go.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
Mine was just bent not broke but if it breaks at the carrier your most likely going to have to pull the carrier to get the broken piece out because of the preload of the bent splines. I have bent splines and bent flanges but have not snapped a shaft yet so hopefully someone that has can give some better info.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Mine was just bent not broke but if it breaks at the carrier your most likely going to have to pull the carrier to get the broken piece out because of the preload of the bent splines. I have bent splines and bent flanges but have not snapped a shaft yet so hopefully someone that has can give some better info.
Ok thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Rear Dana 44 Axle Shaft Removal