Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear breaks gone.... Already!?!?!?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred
Someone said newer vehicles are commonly wearing rears faster than fronts, that is true, for the following reasons:

1) yes, our beloved abs/esp that fires all to often
2) brake assisted diff, and other wheeling associated crap
3) it is safer to provide more braking to the rear wheels. Example: stepping hard on the brakes in a turn, if your fronts lock and begin to fire abs, you lose significant steering control, like locking the front tires of a bike on ice, you will fall over. Therefore, more braking power is given to the rear, giving you the same stopping power with less risk of loss of steering control.

This is my understanding of it. Other can feel free to disagree.
That makes sense...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Yep changed mine for the first time at 120k. Same thing fronts were still good and rears were gone. Changed them all anyways. No rotors or calipers yet. Next time maybe.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lancejk
Yep changed mine for the first time at 120k. Same thing fronts were still good and rears were gone. Changed them all anyways. No rotors or calipers yet. Next time maybe.
well you got 25 000 km more out of yours than i did, nothing wrong with that. And I try to gear down a lot to slow down and save my brakes.But as stated above, there are other parameters in question other than just braking.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:07 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKred
Someone said newer vehicles are commonly wearing rears faster than fronts, that is true, for the following reasons:

1) yes, our beloved abs/esp that fires all to often
2) brake assisted diff, and other wheeling associated crap
3) it is safer to provide more braking to the rear wheels. Example: stepping hard on the brakes in a turn, if your fronts lock and begin to fire abs, you lose significant steering control, like locking the front tires of a bike on ice, you will fall over. Therefore, more braking power is given to the rear, giving you the same stopping power with less risk of loss of steering control.

This is my understanding of it. Other can feel free to disagree.

I have to go with your theroy,it falls in line with my driving habits.

Quick Reply: Rear breaks gone.... Already!?!?!?