Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear breaks gone.... Already!?!?!?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your pads lasted 48k miles and you're complaining?

I'd love to have brake pads last that long on anything...
Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steelgrave
Your pads lasted 48k miles and you're complaining?

I'd love to have brake pads last that long on anything...
I usually get about 100K out of breaks... And thats mountain driving on a daily basis. I just find it odd that my front pads are still at 50%ish and this will be my 3rd set of rears... But I guess its a normal thing for JK's.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

BRAKES not BREAKS.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin
I usually get about 100K out of breaks... And thats mountain driving on a daily basis. I just find it odd that my front pads are still at 50%ish and this will be my 3rd set of rears... But I guess its a normal thing for JK's.
It is odd that the rears seem to go so much faster than the front. I wonder if they (chrysler) have the bias of the system more towards the rear because of the short wheelbase or something.

When I test drove mine I was actually quite impressed with the braking. For a 4000+ lb vehicle on 32" tires they handled a few repeated harder stops with relative ease. Guess I'll have to keep a close eye on the pads starting about spring time. (I tend to be hard on brakes)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep, I replaced my rear pads at 45,000KMs....very easy to do yourself, and a good opertounity to adjust that rear E-brake too.
Project JK has a few great write ups on how to aswell. I didn't need rotors, just pads, went OEM, working great.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider yourself lucky. I'm on my third set of pads, a new caliper, new rotors and new e-brake shoes - at 18,000 miles.

OK, it is used off road mostly, and I have a tendency to drive with the e-brake is on, but still...

Last edited by SiliconTi; 10-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the same, I bought front and back pads figuring I would have to change them all, I started whith<--(oops spelling mistake)the back passenger side, then I moved to the front, and it was fine, and I thought maybe that rear caliper was sticking, so then I moved on to check the driver's rear, and sure enough it had the same wear as the other side. the only thing I can think of is like previously mentioned was size, and yes size matters
Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a recent article in 4wd magazine on replacing the rear JK calipers and pads with a larger 2 piston caliper. Is it worth doing when changing them is relatively quick and easy??
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

do a search on my name.... I have a posting or replied to one similar... I have had to replace my rotors TWICE now in the rear and the breaks about 3 time and I have about 50,000 on m 2007. I think its a combo of ESP and some other crap... but I also had a rear break caliper that wasn't functioning properly.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Someone said newer vehicles are commonly wearing rears faster than fronts, that is true, for the following reasons:

1) yes, our beloved abs/esp that fires all to often
2) brake assisted diff, and other wheeling associated crap
3) it is safer to provide more braking to the rear wheels. Example: stepping hard on the brakes in a turn, if your fronts lock and begin to fire abs, you lose significant steering control, like locking the front tires of a bike on ice, you will fall over. Therefore, more braking power is given to the rear, giving you the same stopping power with less risk of loss of steering control.

This is my understanding of it. Other can feel free to disagree.

Quick Reply: Rear breaks gone.... Already!?!?!?