Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear brake lights come on without pedal being depressed

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake lights come on without pedal being depressed

I've been having this issue for a while now and the dealer cant seem to solve this problem. While driving for long periods my rear brake lights will randomly come on and the ETC light will appear on the dash. A local 4x4 shop mechanic told me it could be related to the brake pedal switch. What do you think? I'm trying to solve this issue before the long haul to Moab for EJS.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

All three brake lights come on?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

I don't have a third brake light connected at the moment so it's just the left and right that light up
Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Check the brake pedal switch for being securely mounted.

If it's OK, consider the following.

When the brake lights come on by themselves, how long do they stay on?
And, will they stay on after you shut off the engine?
If they stay on more than a few minutes, does everything go back to normal after you cycle the brake pedal?

If they stay on after you shut the engine off, it could be a bad brake pedal switch, a loose switch mounting, or a short in the system.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

The lights will usually stay on for about 10 seconds. If they stay on for at least 15 the ETC cuts the power to the throttle because it thinks the brake pedal and gas pedal are being pressed at the same time. Once I let off the gas pedal it goes back to normal but usually happens again a few miles down the road. I've even pulled a code that appears when the brake pedal and gas are pressed at the same time.

The lights haven't come on when the Jeep is off. I'll check the switch connection next. Thanks for the help

Last edited by ChasAzJk; 03-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear brake lights come on without pedal being depressed